4042 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to reconfigure 2 logical into 1 in ML350 g3 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
Azmir

how to reconfigure 2 logical into 1 in ML350 g3 server

I have a HP Proliant ML350 G3 Server running Windows Standard Server 2000. It currently has 3 hard drives (32.4gb) with a raid 5 configuration.

Array Configuration Utility 7.0.1.0

- smart array 642 controller in slot 4

Array A
-logical drive 1 (5000 MB , RAID 5)
-logical drive 2 (64455 MB, RAID 5)

Currently i have format this server due to Windows got crashed. When i do a installation using smart array 7.0, its only detected the available space for my OS just 5000MB. So i need some suggestion from you guys how to reconfigure back my server to get better HDD space in c\:partition for my OS. For your info i'm new in server configuration.

Any response will be appreciated.

Thanks,
azmir

9 REPLIES 9
Erdogan Temur
HPE Pro

Hi,

Add new hard disk.
ACU from within add new disk a raid.
Extend Logical Drive clik.
capacity size change.

Regards.
Kind Regards,
Erdogan.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum!

Accept or Kudo

Azmir

i need a guide from expertise here , how i do combine 3 HDD into 1 logical drive. is it possible ?? Can anybody here show me the actual step to do it. I'm new in RAID configuration.

Regards,

azmir
Karabuyu
Advisor

Hi azmir

as far as I know you simply cannot joint 2 logical drive into 1 without losing data on tham, so u mention that you allready formated C partition assuming that you either have backup files at other logical drive or you deleted everything on the server

so if you have backups and you do want to create 1 logical drive that consist of 3 Hdds as Raid5 you simply can do the following :

make sure you have your backup datas in somewehere else that this server

* right click raid controller and select "clear configuration"

* and than again right click on raid controller and select create raid/array -> select all drives shown at right side of the screen

* you ll see "unused space" under raid controller's name, right click on it and choose "create logical driver" and select raid 5 leave all other fields default and you ll have 1 logical drive as raid 5 with 3 Hdds, you can choose your C partition size during OS installation,

so if you mention that the data on the server deletable or not I can give better answer,

Regards,
Azmir

Hi Karabuyu

Firstly thank you for your great explaination. For your information i'm already back up all my data on the server to another safe place.

I have do fresh installation and unfortunately the available space for my OS just 5000MB and this not enough for me.

As you mentioned, i'm already open the ACU program and i see on the right side of the screen the list of tasks for Smart Array 642 controller in slot 4.

- controller settings
- logical drive array accelerator settings
- CLEAR CONFIGURATION
- more information

My question is that possible for me to do a CLEAR CONFIGURATION task when the windows still running?

And do i need to boot Smart Start 7.0 CD for do a task that u mention above ???

thanks back again ... Karabuyu

Karabuyu
Advisor

Hi Azmir,

when if you select clear config it will clear all raid it means all data will gone include running Windows, if you select clear config in ACU in windows you ll get Blue screen immidiately, but config will be saved BUT :

there is another option if there is no important data in other (non OS) array, instead of clearing all Raid structure, you simply : right click on Array B (assuming your OS is NOT here) and select DELETE, you ll gain some space, and select Array A and select EXPAND SIZE and select new size (select max.)

that ll save your OS if there is no other OS releated programmes etc. installed to the partitions in Array B,

regards,
Azmir

Hi karabuyu

Thank you so much for spending your value time to answer my question.

No.1

"when if you select clear config it will clear all raid it means all data will gone include running Windows"
- i would to know how to do this task. Should i boot Smart Start CD when start up the server? Because i did prefer to do a easy way even it will takes a long time to accomplish the task. I'm new and i don't have any experience so it safe for me.

No.2

"right click on Array B (assuming your OS is NOT here) and select DELETE, you ll gain some space, and select Array A and select EXPAND SIZE and select new size (select max.) "
- For your info , my ACU just only have Array A and how i do create a Array B on the ACU.

Ok for me as newbie in configuration RAID can you teach me to do fresh RAID (5) configuration on my server and i dont care about the OS on my machine because i will installed back later.

Any response will be appreciated

Thanks
Azmir
Karabuyu
Advisor
Solution

Hi Azmir,
your welcome,

No.1

"when if you select clear config it will clear all raid it means all data will gone include running Windows"
- i would to know how to do this task. Should i boot Smart Start CD when start up the server? Because i did prefer to do a easy way even it will takes a long time to accomplish the task. I'm new and i don't have any experience so it safe for me.

** you can do that either using ACU in windows or Booting server with Smart Start Cd and select maintenance on main page --> Array Configuration utility (or configure and maintenance array). either way is ok and does exactly same thing, it is safe dont worry.

No.2

Ok for me as newbie in configuration RAID can you teach me to do fresh RAID (5) configuration on my server and i dont care about the OS on my machine because i will installed back later.

from my previous post : this is frest raid 5 config with 3 Hdds installed

* right click raid controller and select "clear configuration"

* and than again right click on raid controller and select create raid/array -> select all drives shown at right side of the screen

* you ll see "unused space" under raid controller's name, right click on it and choose "create logical driver" and select raid 5 leave all other fields default and you ll have 1 logical drive as raid 5 with 3 Hdds, you can choose your C partition size during OS installation,
Azmir

Hi Karabuyu ..

Thank you very much Karabuyu and your great support.
It's work !!!!

Now my server RAID configuration is

Array A
-logical drive 1 ( 63000 MB, RAID 5)

i got bigger space for my Windows.
Thank you again.

regards,
azmir
Karabuyu
Advisor

your welcome Azmir,