2691 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to shutdown a proliant server in case of over temperature

BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

how to shutdown a proliant server in case of over temperature

hi,

I have installed a DL380G4 in a cabinet closed equiped with climatizer.
it works well but if the climatizer stop working the temperature increase quickly.
what's happen when the temperature mesured by one server sensor is more than the temperature threshold?

is it possible to decrease the temperature threshold and to shutdown the server when the mesured temperature is more than the threshold temperature.
the goal is to protect the server and others components in the cabinet.

pascal.
5 REPLIES 5
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

Hello,

If you log into the System Management Homepage (SMHP): https://:2381 and then you click on Cooling and Temperature you'll get a list of the temperature sensors.

I've attached a picture. Normally it is defaulted to shutdown if you exceed the temperature sensor for a certain time, however I'm not sure what that time is.

As far as I know, it's not possible to change the threshold..but someone from HP or here can correct me.
BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello Graeme,

I haven't "Cooling and Temperature" option,
do you think with these "Auto server recovery" options, the server server shutdown in overtemperature condition and is protected ?

in fact I wish to decrease the temperature threshold, to protect other components (gigabit switch, kvm, lto library)...
the max. operating temperature of the library is less high than for the server.
if the server is shutdownt the temperature in the cabinet stop to increase even if other components stay on.

pascal
juan quesada
Respected Contributor

Hi there,

if SMH do not display the temp and sensor info you can get into ILO (monitoring tab), you will get the same info there (in reality the SHM health agent reads the temp and sensor information from the ILO health and managment driver)
as for decreasing the threshold..... you will need somebody that tweaks the BIOS cause from what i know, as Bray said, is not possible and not supported by HP.
BERTON_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Juan,

I see the temperature sensor in SMH (see the picture) but I don't see the "Thermal Degraded Action" option and I can't choose "Continue" or "Shut Down" like Graeme

Pascal
Svoboda_1

hello,
I need to solve same problem, but with server HP Proliant ML370 G5 .
The diffrence is also that the temperature disaster actually happend, aircondition in rack failed. Temperature raised quickly, server did corect shutdown, but ... the power supply of server remained switched on, causing heating in isolated rack (it is fireproof rack).
So, as solution I need possibly to setup temperature for shutdown, and also setup complete poweroff of all server.
Is this possible somehow, anyone can help?