cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to tell if a mirrored drive fails

Tom Bates
Occasional Contributor

how to tell if a mirrored drive fails

We have several DL360G2 boxes with Smart Array 5i running Redhat Linux 7.3, each with a pair of mirrored drives. We would prefer not to run SNMP if possible. Is there a file somewhere, perhaps in /proc, that a script could check to see if one of the mirrored drives failed?
5 REPLIES
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

Re: how to tell if a mirrored drive fails

No, but there should be a log entry. In an NT environment if a drive fails and you are using the Compaq driver, it will log events like drive failure in the system event log.

Why don't you fail one and see? They're mirrors after all. Even easier if they're hot plug.

paul courry
Honored Contributor

Is your head full of rocks? "Fail one and see"?

That's how companies lose data, money and you your everlovin' bonus.

If there is a problem with the master and you kill the mirror you may not be able to come back up because the machine won't recognize the drive.

If that happens I hope you have very good backups.

Start checking logs.
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

A 360G2 has the benifit of using Universal Drives (unlike the 320) which are accessable from the front of the server. You could (and should) periodically visually inspect the drives for the Amber LED denoting a filed drive.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
John Marinov
Frequent Advisor

No my head is not full of rocks.

Yes we tested this kind of function, exactly this way. You might choose for example a server which isn't in production. While you're building it, for example.

You *can* fail one drive, *especially* if it's a hot swap. We're looking for log entries here, remember.

The server had better recognise the drive when you put it back. That's why you pay extra for *smart* array controllers. It's called checking you got what you paid for.

I've checked around. The foundation agents is how problems get logged. That requires SNMP.
Tom Bates
Occasional Contributor

SNMP seems to be the only answer. I have pulled drives out and put them back, with not a peep in any log that I can find, including IML. If you reboot with a drive out, it *will* make a note in IML.