1752433 Members
6051 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: how to use two disk whithout raid

Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

RAID 0 is never recommended for a production server. It is not supported by Microsoft, Novell and many Linux providers. Lose a disk and you lose the array. You should do RAID 1 for OS and paging/swap files. If you want to do two separate disks, One for OS and one for apps/data. That would be safer than RAID 0. I would get a proper backup solution other than ghosting. You need to recover your directory services.
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hey, so what OS are you running?

Making ghosts/copies of windows installations used to cause problems with the SID - which required some work afterwards. I do not know if this is the case.

How did you make a ghost of a disk? How did you try to restore it? Did you have the same hardware settings/raid setup?

HP has a tool called RDP - rapid deployment pack - which simplifies installations a lot (when it's working).
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

The problem with ghosting is hardware changes. Ghosting is not the best backup solution. You could setup a workstation and do disk to disk backups to it. I prefer a backup solution you can take offsite. We have been working with a Barracuda device to move three databases offsite. The 900 GB of data is still backed up to tape and took off site. The Barracuda is to make a psuedo DR site available.
Gianfranco Ferrini

Hi,

my problem is not backup, I want to clone an entire disk on another one.

I use acronis as clone software and, I repeat, it doesn't seem to be possible whith raid controller.

This is why I ask if it is possible to see one single disk without raid (if I want i can do raid also with linux software)

The OS that I use with my machines is RedHat 6.

Thanks.
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

You can do RAID 0 on single drives. You can replace the RAID controller with a SCSI/SAS controller.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Regarding the clone: Consider to create a RAID1 on 2 disks, so you can transfer the OS with the disk to another server.

Regarding RAID controller: I'm only aware of a single controller model where you can enable or disable RAID functionality, but this is in the BL860c i2 blade, not on proliant.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Michael A. McKenney
Respected Contributor

I would do RAID 1 on the two drives and get a separate backup solution like a USB 2 drive or tape backup solution. I would not do hard drive removal. The backplane is not designed for daily removal. You will damage a drive or backplane over time.
Gianfranco Ferrini

Thanks everyone for the answers.

The end result is that you cannot disable raid controller and clone disks must be done through backup systems.