ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748076 Members
5389 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

hp 350 ML scsi installation

fabrizio_37

hp 350 ML scsi installation

we had just buy a HP 350 ML server whitout HDD.
Then we buy 4 HDD Maxtor atlas 15K II 36 GB whit 68 pin Wide SCSI .

but the connectors on the server are different , any one know what kind of adapter we need?

i'm sorry for my english and be very grateful for anykind of help
4 REPLIES 4
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: hp 350 ML scsi installation

Fabrizio:

Is this a newer ML350? I would expect that is has 6 hard drive bays in the front of the server? If so, then you need hard drives that are in a Hot Plug Tray which have 80pin SCA connectors on them.

Probably... 36.4-GB 15,000 rpm U320 Universal Hard Drive (1├в ) 286776-B22
...is the part you want. You may also need an Array controller if you want to configure hardware RAID.

Alternatively, you may be able to directly connect your drives internally to the SCSI controller, if you have the right cable.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
fabrizio_37

yes is a new ml350 , and reading you i think that we need the universal hot plug tray , we can buy the right from HP ? if you know.

another question the array controller isn't on HP server? i see on the server that there is a place where we can connect 6 SCSI hdd 80 pin , this is array?

sorry again for english but i don't know any italian forum for our problem
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

There are several different models you can buy. SOme have the array controller included, some have only a simple SCSI adaptor.

You can get the drives direct from HP or from HP.com.

I do not think the drives you have will work though as the drive itself should have an 80pin connector, not 68pin.

The 6 drive slots only hold the drives. They get connected to the system via a Smart Array controller or a SCSI controller (depending on the model you purchased).

The quickest way to determine if you have Smart Array, without opening up the server is to turn it on. Right after the initial POST, you should see "Smart Arry 641 initializing" or similar. If you don't, no Array Controller is in the box.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage, Servers, and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5, vSphere 6.x)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Jon Ward
Trusted Contributor

If you are using a non-hot plug hard drive, you can use the general meda bays to install your hard drives.

Refer to the Non-hot plug SCSI hard drive cabling section of the Proliant ML350 G4 Reference Guide at http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00218201/c00218201.pdf for details.

If you provide a serial number, we may be able to determine what kind of embedded controller already comes with the system and if it already has the cabling necessary.