108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp DL 180 G5 controller E200 disable raid HW

SOLVED
Go to solution
TTr
Honored Contributor

> If I'll have a controller problem, can I use disk in any server?
> I want to use controller but no raid function!

If you want to be able to use a disk from this server on another server, either you must have an SA raid controller on BOTH server or you must have a simple (no raid) SAS controller on BOTH servers.

> It's a new feature? I known that in a old server was permitted (HP ML310)

How old was the ML310? Some older controllers (and other non HP controllers) allowed a "passthrough" setup where the OS saw the actual physical disk. All newer "SA" type of raid controllers do NOT have this feature.

Now, some people say that if you make a disk a raid0 type (one disk, no redundancy), you may be able to use it on a non-raid controller. I don't know if that is true or not, unless I tested it myself, I would not believe it.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

THe ML 310 and most of the 100 series systems do not come with a Smart Array controller. They come with an embedded SATA controller that had a RAID feature that could be enabled in the system BIOS. These controllers were not Hardware RAID controllers. the RAID fucntion was actually controlled by a driver. On these system if you didn't enable the RAID feature you would just have individual disks. Youcan use the embedded SATA controller in the DL180 and not use the E200.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

TTr, As far as I can recall, no "Smart Array" controller has ever had a pass through feature. some of the embedded SATA controllers did, but they were not true hardware RAID controllers like the Smart Array

You can use the Smart Array to set each individual disk in it's own array to simulate JBOD, but you cannot plug the drives into a non Smart Array controller and access the data.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
TTr
Honored Contributor

> TTr, As far as I can recall, no "Smart Array" controller has ...

You are probably right. I did mention "some older controllers..."

> You can use the Smart Array to set each individual disk in it's own array to simulate JBOD but you cannot plug the drives into a non Smart Array controller and access the data.

That's what RAID0 is. You are probably right again, raid0 would create raid headers for the LUN(s) and a nonSA controller would not know what to make of it.
upr
Occasional Advisor

thank you very much, now I've understood.
I could easily go wrong without your advice.

upr
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

How to add disks to RAID 1+0, if I have already 4 discs (mirroring+stripe)?

Thanks

TTr
Honored Contributor

> How to add disks to RAID 1+0

It depends on the controller. Is it still for the E200? You must have the BBWC option (cache + battery) to be able to do "online capacity expansion" You install the disks and go to ACU and add them to the existing raid10 array.

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/12460_na/12460_na.html
upr
Occasional Advisor

So, I can add 2 disks in mirror?

volume 1 = 4 disks (mirror+stripes)

new volume 2 = 2 disks (mirror)

thanks.

upr
Occasional Advisor

If i don't have cache+battery I can still do this, maybe offline.
TTr
Honored Contributor

> new volume 2 = 2 disks (mirror)

You can create a new 2-disk mirror anytime no need to shutdown anything.

If you want to make the existing 4-disk raid10 array a 6-disk raid10 array you can not do it online or offline. You need to save the data, destroy the 4-disk r10 array and creat a new 6-disk r10 array and restore the data.

You should look into buying the cache and battery. In addition to allowing you to do online operations on the raid arrays, it makes a big difference in the performance of the raid controller.