3988 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp-OpenIPMI on Kernels > 2.6.24

Bastian Maeuser
Occasional Advisor

hp-OpenIPMI on Kernels > 2.6.24

Dear Sirs,

I have to inform you, that Kernels >2.6.24 break the hp-OpenIPMI package.

My Setting:

hp-OpenIPMI-7.8.0-108.etch26.i386.deb

Compile Error:

hp-OpenIPMI/drivers/char/ipmi/ipmi_si_intf.c:1469: error: тАШSA_SHIRQтАЩ undeclared (first use in this function)

Explanation:

SA_INTERRUPT and SA_SHIRQ (as well as some other Interrupt function) as used in the HP Implemenation of the ipmi Driver were deprecated with Kernel Version 2.6.23rc8 and completely removed in the end of 2007.
The function replacements are called IRQF_DISABLED respectively IRQF_SHARED, however, i'm not in the mood for manually patching HP's drivers..

Is there any information when hp-OpenIPMI will work with Kernels > 2.6.24?

or is there any newwer version out already for debian?

sincerly,
Bastian Maeuser
8 REPLIES 8
Brecht Verhaeghe

Hello,

For me the same problem with proxmox ve kernel (comes from an ubuntu hardy kernel).

I hope on a quick solution, I wan't my hardware monitoring up and running before going in production.

sincerly,

Brecht Verhaeghe
Bastian Maeuser
Occasional Advisor

Hi there,

it's not, that you _need_ the HP-OpenIPMI to get Hardware Monitoring to work. If you don't use the HP Ipmi you can simply use the Standardkernel ipmi Modules and hpasmlited.

Do:

modprobe ipmi_msghandler
modprobe ipmi_devintf
modprobe ipmi_si type=kcs ports=0xca8 regspacings=4

Then install hpasm and it'll work with the Stock kernelmodules and hpasmlited.

Drawback: From time to time Status information for the Fan Redundancy is not read correctly.

Brecht Verhaeghe

well,

I installed hpasm, that worked.
I installed hprsm, didn't work (error description something like: it could be your hpasm, it could be some package you forgot, it could be something else...)
the rest installed well.

but... it is soooo slow to connect to the admin site.

Do I need all if I want to monitor with an external tool (zenoss or so). I could look to get it directly from ipmi but I don't know if I can monitor my disk array this way.

Thanks for your response.
Bastian Maeuser
Occasional Advisor

I don't use rsm or the HP supplied Management web.

I keep it tiny and use hpasmlite + nagios + check_hpasm (via snmp) to monitor my servers.

It keeps track of Raid status, PSU and fans, as well as Case openings.

In a good state it returns summarized Information like "OK - System: 'proliant dl380 g5', S/N: 'CZC7XXXXXX', ROM: 'P56 10/04/2007', hardware working fine, 1 logical drives, 3 physical drives" which is enough for me..

An information from the HP Officials regarding an updated Version of hp-OpenIPMI Debian Packages for newer Kernels would be appreciated anyways..

regards.
Brecht Verhaeghe

Hello,

I have to thank you, nagios is a good system, simple and good.

I installed hpasm, hpacucli and configured nagios_nrpe on the server to check and in a virtual machine installed nagios server with nrpe plug-in. works like a charm.

Thank you!

And for the HP guys ... I always advise people to buy HP, I think it is one of the best distributors of hardware... but in this case, even if it was just to say you won't update or it will be in integrated in the open-ipmi driver or so... something.

Last time: Thank you Bastian!
Bastian Maeuser
Occasional Advisor

You're welcome.

feel free to give me some ITRC Reputation Points ;)

Bastian
Brecht Verhaeghe

I would really give you points if I knew how on this site, I think only the one who started the thread can assign points:

from the faq:
How Do I Assign Points?

Only the question author can assign points to a given response. If you submit a question or new topic and another member replies to it, you will see a dropdown menu of points next to the reply (you must be logged in to see the menu). Select the point value and then click the "submit points" button. Note that you can rate multiple replies and submit them at one time.

so... :-(

Or did you mean other points?

(If not, I could start a thread with the same question, you cut and paste your answer in it and I rate)
Bastian Maeuser
Occasional Advisor

Aight,

forget it, this HP Forum Software can just assign point, if i would have answered to a question opnened by you ;)

thanks anyways and keep rolling ;)

sincerly
Bastian