108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp dl380 g5 fans

SOLVED
Go to solution
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

we have rebooted correct , just try reseat fans one at a time while running any differance now..
linuxpenguin
Advisor

The fans are hot swappable? Just want to make sure before I open the chassis and start ripping fans out. ;)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

they are hot swap
all items with red crimson marks are hot swap , fans are too on this model:)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Hummm. Honestly I'm not complete comfortable ripping the chassis open and removing fans until all other options are exhausted.

What precisely controls the fan speed anyways? BIOS? Or an OS driver?

If it's an OS driver then why do the fans always kick up into high gear after a few days of running. I would imagine if the driver in the normal version of ESXi did not support fan control then the fans would be set to max speed right off the bat. And running the HP version of ESXi would probably have resulted in the fan speeds dropping to some normal value.

Or so I think. ;)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Just as an update, I've been running HP's version of ESXi for over 24 hours with no effect on the fan speed for the fans close to the grill of the G5.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

├В┬┤what does no effect mean clarify--
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Mark,

What I meant by "no effect" is that the fans are still spinning very loudly, even after having run HP's ESXi for over 24 hours.

Any other thoughts on how to approach this problem before I open a case with HP would be greatly appreciated. :)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Any other thoughts?

I'm going to try opening a case with HP support this afternoon and see if I can get some other ideas thrown into the mix. I'll update the thread with whatever the final resolution of the issue was (hopefully) after the problem is fixed.

:)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

reseat fans check leds near fans , swap fans around,
ensure a reboot is done after installing agents
also

ensure disk model has latest firmware maybe disks running hot ,

if stilll issues run offline diagnostics , and post ithere , in survey mode, as well as theimllog

i'll look at them

also 1important thinmg , remove anycard in riser slot , if any what happens now ???

happy new year.. :)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

No riser cards. How do I run the offline diagnostics?