Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hp dl380 g5 fans

SOLVED
Go to solution
linuxpenguin
Advisor

hp dl380 g5 fans

Strange issue -- hoping someone can help.

I have a DL380 G5 running in an office space. For the first two or three days after initially being powered on the server is VERY quiet.

After approximately 3 days (roughly) the fans near the front of the server (basing this on the source of the sound) will rev up significantly causing the server to become quite LOUD. The only way to get the server quiet again is to completely power cycle it (reset doesn't do anything).

I've removed the power supplies one at a time and the increased sound is not coming from these units.

I've also updated the ROM -- no changes.

Thoughts? Is this normal? I can't imagine what is causing this -- the room temperature is constantly around 70deg.
23 REPLIES
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

Re: hp dl380 g5 fans

hmmmm well linuxpenguin..

SUPPORT COMMUNICATION - CUSTOMER ADVISORY

Document ID: c01743489

Version: 1
Advisory: HP ProLiant ML150 G6 Server - The HP Management Controller Driver Is Not Included in the HP ProLiant ML150 G6 Easy Set-Up CD Version 1.0(B)

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=c01743489

and nul driver

http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=130&prodSeriesId=3884323&prodTypeId=15351&objectID=c01639340

reboot for good measure :)

now idf issue persists pull out card s from any riser card you have what happens now,, is all okay

as the dl380 g5 works in a differant way
how many power supplies do you have and are all fan slots full ?

as you are new to the forums

HINT Thanks
This is how we thank each other in the forum

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.

The server does not have any cards in the riser cage.

I'm running ESXi on the server (not Windows), so I don't believe that the drivers you pointed me to would help in this scenario.

I have two power supplies and pulling them out one at a time does not affect the noise level so I don't think that the fans affected are the PSU fans.

Interestingly I took a snapshot of the temperature and fan speeds of the server (taken from the VMware vSphere client and the iLO) and nothing has changed in terms of temperature.

The system also reports that the fan speeds *HAVE NOT* changed (again, according to VMware vSphere client and iLO).

Thoughts?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

You might try loading the health agent for ESXi. The health agent will control the fans.

As you don't say which version of ESXi you running select your version from here and download the correct HP Management Agent Package

http://www.hp.com/support/dl380g5

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

linux penguin i see what i posted it was partly a reply to t differant posts ,
hmm must be my copy paste prog playin up.nvm...

psu units make no differance ,
so leaves drivers agents as they do control fan subsystems

if you have 2 processsors take a note is the PPM module amber if so a Psu related circuit issue may be causing this .
as this server supports the 403781-001 psu which can cause this issue
linuxpenguin
Advisor

I'll try to install the Management Agent(s) and get back to all of you and let you know if that helps.
linuxpenguin
Advisor

I'm a little confused on why the Management Agent would help with this problem. It seems as though the HP Management Agent is really just an SNMP daemon / service that runs on the system.

Does it actually do anything else? Most of the documentation I've seen does not indicate that the Management Agent will provide ESXi more robust control of the hardware.

I'm running ESXi 4.0 (update 1), as a side note.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

hmmm .......linuxpenguin
not every thing on driver ilo managenet firmware etc is documented ,
many subsystems share paths chipsl logic with other subsystems ,thus their relationship is interlaced/

Just feks..
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=3239482&prodTypeId=12169&objectID=c01802766
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

another exlook how 1 error can be generated by a differant issue

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1394976

HP integrity servers are all together differant , more individual sensors and therefore precise troubleshooting is far easier.

hope this clears up some queries
linuxpenguin
Advisor

All,

Just loaded ESXi with the HP management agents on my server. The fans have not quieted down.

Doh. :(

Any other thoughts? I can't imagine this being a hardware "problem," although it's conceivable.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

we have rebooted correct , just try reseat fans one at a time while running any differance now..
linuxpenguin
Advisor

The fans are hot swappable? Just want to make sure before I open the chassis and start ripping fans out. ;)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

they are hot swap
all items with red crimson marks are hot swap , fans are too on this model:)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Hummm. Honestly I'm not complete comfortable ripping the chassis open and removing fans until all other options are exhausted.

What precisely controls the fan speed anyways? BIOS? Or an OS driver?

If it's an OS driver then why do the fans always kick up into high gear after a few days of running. I would imagine if the driver in the normal version of ESXi did not support fan control then the fans would be set to max speed right off the bat. And running the HP version of ESXi would probably have resulted in the fan speeds dropping to some normal value.

Or so I think. ;)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Just as an update, I've been running HP's version of ESXi for over 24 hours with no effect on the fan speed for the fans close to the grill of the G5.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

´what does no effect mean clarify--
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Mark,

What I meant by "no effect" is that the fans are still spinning very loudly, even after having run HP's ESXi for over 24 hours.

Any other thoughts on how to approach this problem before I open a case with HP would be greatly appreciated. :)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Any other thoughts?

I'm going to try opening a case with HP support this afternoon and see if I can get some other ideas thrown into the mix. I'll update the thread with whatever the final resolution of the issue was (hopefully) after the problem is fixed.

:)
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

reseat fans check leds near fans , swap fans around,
ensure a reboot is done after installing agents
also

ensure disk model has latest firmware maybe disks running hot ,

if stilll issues run offline diagnostics , and post ithere , in survey mode, as well as theimllog

i'll look at them

also 1important thinmg , remove anycard in riser slot , if any what happens now ???

happy new year.. :)
linuxpenguin
Advisor

No riser cards. How do I run the offline diagnostics?
linuxpenguin
Advisor

Very interesting...I think I made a breakthrough.

In the past when this problem has occurred I've done some tests to determine where the issue was coming from. I remember reading in the forums a while back that there were some issues with the PSU units that resulted in the fans revving up significantly. So I pulled the power cables on each of the PSUs sequentially and listened -- the problem did not go away.

This morning I opened the chassis, however, to see if I could better find out which fans were the culprit. Turns out that the PSU *was* the issue (at least in this specific scenario). I yanked the cable on one of the PSUs and the issue immediately went away.

I'm not certain why this fix didn't work last time -- maybe I hadn't yanked the cable and left it out long enough.

Is there some issue number I should reference when I call HP to request a replacement of the two PSUs? Do the new PSUs have the same issue?

I'm going to see if I can find the thread in this forum which talked about the PSU fan problem in the meantime.
marcus1234
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,
LP the power supply is known to HP it is part number 403781-01

you only need 1 replacement as they are independent units, and do not work as a pair,

This is how we thank each other in the forum
friendly hint..:)
http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/helptips.do?#33

Enjoy:)

linuxpenguin
Advisor

Mark, you've been a tremendous help. Thanks a bunch!
marcus1234
Honored Contributor

your welcome ,oopp's typo part nr is 403781-001

happy new year :)