1752781 Members
6205 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: hp proliant 380 g7 Raid 5

kakaroto11_22
Occasional Contributor

hp proliant 380 g7 Raid 5

We have servers hp proliant 380 g7, which has an arrangement in Raid 1 and Raid 5, recently a server was damaged, did not fire more and we did not have opportunity to back up the information that contained, so we chose to change it for a server that we have In stock, so we generate in the new server raid 1 and raid 5 again and place the hard disks of the previous server in the same position on the new server, when starting with the new server if windows startup normally as in the previous one Server but to our surprise raid 5 does not recognize it and asks me to format it which we did not do and it appears partitioned (on the previous server if we had it partitioned) but without assigning a volume and without the contained information

My question is is there any procedure for me to recognize raid 5 or if we delete the information with what we did?

4 REPLIES 4
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The array/RAID settings are actually stored on each disk and not stored in the controller itself. How did you re-create the array settings on the new server?  All you should have done was moved the disks from the old server to the new server and turned it on.  The only caveat when moving disks to a new system is the controller must be using the same or newer firmware version as the original. 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
kakaroto11_22
Occasional Contributor

In the new server when I position the disks I do not detect them, I did not start, so enter the utility array and create raid 1 and 5, raid 1 on the new server if I worked but the raid 5 did not appear the partitions but me Asks to format it, not formatting it puts me in Raw

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

If you put the drives in the new server and then created new arrays, any existing data may heve been destroyed. The server should have autmatically recognizedd the drives and existing arrays. If it did not, it may have had an older version of firmware on the Smart Array Controller.  I'd suggest powering off, remove the drives, update the firmware and try again. There is a good chance the data is lost.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
kakaroto11_22
Occasional Contributor

thanks for information, i check the version firmware,
I will do what you told me