New Discussion юеВ

hp proliant dl 380 g3

SOLVED
Go to solution
rames
Occasional Contributor

hp proliant dl 380 g3

Hello friends,
i have hp proliant dl 380 g3 with 5 gb ram and with cent os 5.2 32 bit ,kernel PAE is used to recognize moret han 4 GB of ram.it is working fine for couple of months nearly 3 months.last week server rebooted 5 times without any intervention and today it is rebooting over and over again? i am not able to check any thing it is rebooting again and again.what may cause this bahavior?on this centos server vmware server is installed.nothing is added to this operating system recently?one more thing i want to know is do i need enable PAE in the BIOS of this server?

Thanks in advance
5 REPLIES 5
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: hp proliant dl 380 g3

The Proliant DL380 G3 was no longer sold as new by HP after January 2005, so the machine is at least about four years old and certainly out of warranty. It might failing because of age.

The symptoms certainly seem like a hardware failure. Some component may have been steadily getting worse and worse: last week it just barely held together most of the time, now it's finally in so bad shape it no longer works at all.

The diagnosis now depends on how far the system gets in its boot attempts. Does it manage to start loading the OS, or does it crash in the middle of its internal self-tests? Does it crash always at the same step of the start-up process, or is it random?

If it starts loading the OS but crashes after that, you might try running Memtest86 on the system:
http://www.memtest86.com/

If PAE is not enabled in the BIOS and your OS (VMWare Server) is still seeing more than 4 GB, the OS is overriding the BIOS setting and you don't have to change it. If the OS sees only 4 GB, you should enable PAE.

MK
MK
rames
Occasional Contributor

thank you very much MK for your detailed and reasonble explanation.last week it restarted 4 or 5 times and it seems like it loaded os (centos --by using last command i figured out it loaded os fully)fully in that 4 or 5 times,after 5 th time i restarted manully and it worked for 1 more week or so smoothly and yesterday
it restarted 4 to 5 times it fully loaded the os at these 4 or 5 times,after 5 time onwards it again and again restarting not able to load os fully.i am accesssing system remotely.no ilo is configured.so i asked person over there he told me like it restarting again and again.
rames
Occasional Contributor

Hello
now system is again up,so i want to check memory with memtest86 ,i downloaded and untarred it on my linux server.i run a make command on that memtest folder it gave some messages,i am attaching that file.next what and how can i do something with this memtest to check this servers memory.
please help me on this issue.
rames
Occasional Contributor

hello friends
i did memory test on server nothing detected ,report says every thing is ok.i don't know what causes this reboots?? one more question like there is an option like thermal shutdown should it be on or off?what is for nvram?how can i reset that nvram ?some one please help me on this..i am attaching memory test screen also.

thanks
andrey1983

I have exactly this ProLiant , but I cant enable PAE in the BIOS. Please, can U tell me in details how to enable it?

Thanx