ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751907 Members
5298 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hp proliant dl380

Theo Zavalas

hp proliant dl380

hi, i am running win 2003 server standard edition on a proliant dl380 and running out of space on c:\ i want to add a further 36.4gb, is it simple?? do i have to rebuild the drive?? please help
8 REPLIES 8
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

Is not that simple...you must be careful...back up the data...is a must!!!

Extending C partition is risk...you can use 3rd party software (partition magic) in order to do that as soon as you expand the array...

Theo Zavalas

can i use diskpart.exe??
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

Yeap...here are the steps:

Extend the logical drive in Windows
1. Download the latest version of Diskpart.exe from Microsoft. Currently the link is at http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/.
2. Click All Programs, point to Administrative Tools, click Computer Management, and then start the Disk Management console. Verify that the new free space is added to the end of the proper drive. Right-click the existing partition and then click Properties. On the General tab, type a unique name for the partition. This name will be used to identify the partition you want to extend in Diskpart.exe. Quit Computer Management.
3. At a command prompt, type DISKPART, and then press ENTER to start Diskpart.exe.
4. Type LIST VOLUME, and then press ENTER to display the existing volumes on the computer.
5. Type SELECT VOLUME number, and then press ENTER, where volume number is the number of the volume that you want to extend. Note that the volume will have the unique name that you created in step 5, and will have been listed in the output of the command you ran in step 7.
6. Type EXTEND, and then press ENTER to extend the partition into all of the available disk space to the end of the drive.
7. Type EXIT, and then press ENTER.
8. Return to Computer Management and verify the volume has been extended. Using the example above, the disk should be displayed as follows
Theo Zavalas

thanks for the detailed instructions, is it ok if people are using terminal server while i am extending the partition.
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

Nope...do that afterhours with nobody connected to the server...
Theo Zavalas

thanks again, i just noticed in your previous responce i only received upto step 8 was there further steps after that???
Timur S Lukovkin
Regular Advisor

sorry for that...that's all...there are no info further...! :-)
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

i think it much better use Acronis Partition Expert

there is a free trial

http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/partitionexpert/index.html

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!