7758 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: hplog and temperature detection

itaidavid
Occasional Visitor

hplog and temperature detection

Hi.

I'm adding a temperature monitoring module to our system.

Going through hplog man and over the web I couldn't find out what is hplog -t output when a high temperature is reached.

Is the thermal sensor status changed from Normal to something else? what to?

Thanks in advance.

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

"hplog –t" Shows the current temperature and the threshold levels of all temperature sensors.

You can see a article here and here.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

itaidavid
Occasional Visitor

Hi.

Thanks for your reply.

I went over the articles you supplied. As helpful as they were, I still couldn't find out what I was looking.

All the examples across the web shows "hplog -t" output with all sensors indicating normal temperatures and Normal status.

My question is - when a sensor indicates a high temperature (i.e. breaching the defined threshold for that sensor) what will be the value in the Status column for that sensor?

Thanks in advance,

Itai

Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

Very good question but unfortunately its hard to find this answer because in my experience the server would shutdown when it reaches this temperature.

If 1 or 2 fans are failed, the server will shutdown, it will not go to that temperature level (I Guess).

By any chance if server goes to that temperature level, then the STATUS would be either CAUTION or FAILED.

Thank You!
I am a HP employee.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

itaidavid
Occasional Visitor

Great.

That helped a lot.

Thanks a lot for your answers.

Itai.

Abuzabdi

Thanks!

my Customer asked excactly the same question specially because they were depenediing on "hplog -t" status columm changes to get sms notification in case of overheaing ... while it is better to depent on /var/log/messages 

BR

Nap