ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748216 Members
3866 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: hponcfg utility for DL 300 series

Rayservers

hponcfg utility for DL 300 series

Hello, we have a couple of DL 300 series boxes running 64 bit Gentoo Linux. The boxes have been up for a couple of years and need a reinstall. The iLO card is accessible. We gave access to the root prompt and need to reset the ILO password.

From google and HP searches, it seems that we need the hponcfg utility. We have tried rpm and other packages which have some dependencies, hprsm, hpasm and so forth and we are unsuccessful to install these packages.

Is there a statically compiled HPONCFG or a tar of all the required utilities so that we can unpack and run it? We will purchase the full iLO license as we plan to do an install from CD image facility on the iLO.

Cheers,

Ray.
5 REPLIES 5
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Hi,
haven't used hponcfg myself but I think you need to know username/password to work with the hponcfg utility.

To reset password for iLO you need open the chassi of the server, set the system maintenance switch to "disable ilo security" and then during post press F8 to log on to iLO config utility, set password. Shut down server and reset the dip switch back to off state.

Usually this is DIP number 1 and in on-site security is disabled. Check the manual or inside of the chassi.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Your correct, using hponcfg would be the answer as it does not require a valid username and password. To use hponcfg you need to have the HP iLO channel driver loaded, and I don't think there is a version for Gentoo.

Your best option is if iLO access is not set to require a password, during POST you can boot the system and press F8 when the iLO prompt appears on the screen.

If the iLO console access is set to require a password, you have to open the cover and flip the iLO password disable switch before you boot and press F8.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Johan Guldmyr
Honored Contributor

Yah, my guess is that they've already tried to log on via the web interface and on that page it would say that the security is disabled.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

It doesn't matter if security is enabled or disabled when using HPOONCFG. the username and password tags must be in the XML file HPONCFG uses, but they do not need to be a valid account.

HPONCFG only functions when run on the local host and bypasses authentication. When using CPQLOCFG, or the perl script locfg.pl requires a valid username password tag in the XML file as they run remotely.
No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Rayservers

The box is in a remote facility, and reset via hponcfg is the way to go. We just need the software in a tar ball.

Cheers,

Ray.