108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: i recently purchased a ProLiant 6000

SOLVED
Go to solution
jason_396
Advisor

i recently purchased a ProLiant 6000

hello guys . could some one point me to a place to get manuals for this one ? also since mine is a the pentium pro model with the quad 200 mhz cpus , could i upgrade it ?
21 REPLIES 21
jason_396
Advisor

please i dont mean to sound dumb but what are the foll links ? this is my first server so i am so in the dark here . i have setup a mail server on a old pentium . but nothing like this .
Stf
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

jason_396
Advisor

thank you for the link to cpus . whats the highest i can upgrade this thing ? also can i install a OS , just like any other pc ( ie windows , linux ) i hate to be a pain or a trouble to any one here . please bear with me . i dont me mean to sound lazy , but i am just so lost :( when i boot it up and hit f10 it says partition tools not loaded and such .
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

Did you have a smart start CD with the proliant 6000?
If this is the case boot on the smart start cd to begin, then you have many options ...

Stf ;-)
jason_396
Advisor

smart start CD ? no mine didnt come with one ? can i still set it up ? and if not is there any were i can find the cd ?
jason_396
Advisor

i tryed downloading the 7.10 smart start cd but it says i have the wrong vers for the server . any ideas guys ?
Dave Martin_1
Occasional Advisor

Jason,
You will need the smartstart cd 5.5 or earlier. Not sure if HP will still send that out to you or not (i'm sure one of the members of this site could answer).

It is possible to setup this server without a smartstart cd, but it can be challenging and you would need the manuals that were mentioned above.

The manuals mentioned I believe will also specify what types of processors can be installed in the system (if that is what you wanted to upgrade).

You will need to read the manuals, as it is not the same as an installation of a desktop system - it is scsi drive based, which if you are not familiar with, can also be kind of challenging to work with.

It looks like even though this system is end-of-life, that windows server 2003 can be installed on it (though not sure i'd recommend that).

Of all the links recommended above, the best for you would be this one:
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?contentType=SupportManual&locale=en_US&docIndexId=179911&taskId=101&prodTypeId=15351&prodSeriesId=254916

It contains the maintenance and installation procedures you would need to start off. Keep in mind that this server had it's heyday back in 1999 and 2000, so know that it may be more challenging than newer systems you might find on the market.

jason_396
Advisor

Thank you so much for the information. I found a smart start cd kit on eBay for 5$. Also I downloaded the system confiq cds from the hp site and now am currently using them to install red hat fadora. I couldn├в t get any of the other options on the system confiq disk to work because they kept asking for a floppy that didn├в t come with them. I├в ll let you know how the OS install goes. i really hope this thing can be upgraded to at least four 400 MHz cpus . Oh and btw, this unit was purchased for like 20 bucks from a salvage company. So me getting it operational is really just a project/ learning experience. I am gonna hunt for the manuals now , could any one who has had experience repairing or upgrading one of these units give me some p