108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: i recently purchased a ProLiant 6000

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dave Martin_1
Occasional Advisor

the profile diskette (the one it prompts for when installing from the smartstart cd) can be downloaded and extracted from image here:

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/7453.html

Good luck!
jason_396
Advisor

hey thankies for the link ! i started the sys confiq disk i downloaded from this site and when it asked for the "system confiq" disk i wouldnt take the one from the link you gave me . i was about to install windows 2ooo Advance server edition from just some MS boot disk . am i missing anything but not having the smartstart cd ? also what advatages would this thing have over say . a normal pc being used as a server ? thanks again btw for the help :)!
Cameron Todd
Regular Advisor

The SmartStart CD will setup a system partition with all the particular drivers you need for the hardware in this server, so that your OS install will work properly.

I am not familiar with this model but assume it will have multiple harddrives. Most general desktop pc's do not have multiple drives (nor capability for multiple processors) so the possible benefits of a server architecture over a desktop pc would likely include I/O throughput and data integrity (through redundant configuration of the multiple platters). Don't expect to get great graphics or games performance, nor number-crunching with the vintage of machine you have. The hardware should tend to be better built and more reliable that a low-cost SE-Asian-sourced desktop pc assembly.

Don't forget to allocate points to all the responses you get, based on the usefulness of the info. It encourages more knowledgeable people to answer your queries.
jason_396
Advisor

Thank you, i just did ( give points ) . you guys have been very helpful . i would be pulling hair out without you . so far i have completely installed windows 2000 Advance server edition with support for multi-cpus . its made for servers . so i either stay with this or Linux . the windows 2000 AS edition was purchased by my business , but never used on anything . so far so good . works at least as fast as my 800 MHz duron amd desktop . your right the graphics are bad . on ebay i see past sales for video card upgrades . i also saw a post on this forum not too long ago about disabling the onboard video to add a better video card . in both those instances the people talked about the Pentium 3 xeon models of the proliant 6000 and not the Pentium pro model with quad 200 mhzs like i have . i guess now the only things i need to learn is :

1. are the parts people are selling for the Pentium 3 xeon version able to work on mine .

2. if so find out what parts i will need to buy to install with them ( ie: the new motherboards for the xeon cpus )

the manuals you guys pointed to are great , but i cant seem to find any for this model , all are for the Pentium 2 and up versions of this server . i want to dive in and learn how to take this thing apart and put it back together but i don├в t know if the same manual applies to it since its the first on in the run of this series . any more help would be greatly appreciated guys ! you all are great
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

For pentium III xeon here is the parts :

122217-001 Intel Pentium III Xeon processor - 500MHz (Tanner, 100MHz front side bus, 512KB Level-2 cache, Slot 2) - Includes heat pipe

122218-001 Intel Pentium III Xeon processor - 500MHz (Tanner, 100MHz front side bus, 1MB Level-2 cache, Slot 2) - Includes heat pipe

122219-001 Intel Pentium III Xeon processor - 500MHz (Tanner, 100MHz front side bus, 2MB Level-2 cache, Slot 2) - Includes heat pipe

Stf ;-)
jason_396
Advisor

Thanks so much ! what mobo would i need to buy to install those ? also do i need to buy any other parts for this vers ( pentium pro) to work with the new cpus ? i saw some i/o boards on ebay for the xeon ver of this server . should i buy those with the cpus ?
Stf
Esteemed Contributor

I think this is the mother board that you need for P3 Xeon : 186889-001

Stf ;-)

Jason,

It's cost prohibitive to upgrade from PP200's to Xeon's. You will have to replace the processor board, memory board, and IO/System board to make the conversion work.

I have the same system (Proliant 6000, Quad PenPro 200. I was able to upgrade to the 1024 KB cache model of the Pen Pro, though, and those processors may be found at a reasonable price on ebay. Cache is where its at.

Ben
jason_396
Advisor

yes !! thank you ! this is the information i needed !!

please tell me the model parts to buy . cost isnt a issue since this is a project for fun and i got the server almost for free . i am soooo glad you happen to read my post . thank you sir its cool to see you also had the same model as me .
jason_396
Advisor

so i will need :

cpus

i/o boards and a system board (?)

memory board

please tell me if i missed anything .