ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753454 Members
6103 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: i6 2-port raid controller dumped config.

Guy56
Visitor

i6 2-port raid controller dumped config.

Running a DL380 G4 with an i6 controller. Been up and stable for months. Did a controlled stop, on restart the raid controller reported not configured. As of now it will not hold a configuration if power is removed. No on board battery as this option was not purchased. Any one have any idea what has happened? Id the controller bad? Looks like it is integrated to the motherboard. Motherboard battery is new.

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

I assume you are talking about an smart array controller 6i.

The config is not stored on the controller, but on each disks. During startup the controller reads the config from the disks. All disks must be inserted and spin up. Make sure the controller has firmware version 2.84 from 2008 installed.

Check the health of the disks.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Guy56
Visitor

Re: 6i 2-port raid controller dumped config.

The drives were all in. I am searching for the firmware but hp says no results. tried both sites since they have split... still looking

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Re: 6i 2-port raid controller dumped config.

You can start here for the firmware and drivers

http://h20565.www2.hpe.com/hpsc/swd/public/readIndex?sp4ts.oid=426678&lang=en&cc=us

As already stated, the array information is stored on each drive and not on the Smart Array controller. The controller reads the array information during POST.

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Guy56
Visitor

I have no software, I bought the server off lease on ebay a year ago. I have tried looking for utilities but all I get are adware sites with bogus links. I have no way to check the drives other than the lights.

They all appear to be OK, configuration changes save, or say they have... but are lost after a restart. I have reseated the drives several times with no change. Can you have a bad drive without an indicator light???

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

press F8 during post when you see the controller initializing and create a new raid.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Guy56
Visitor

I know. I have done that half a dozen times. it always says it has saved the array and reports 1 or 2 drives created depending on how I try to set it up but on reboot they are always gone. no errors, just the "array not configured" message each time. When I originally setup the server back in February I had no problems at all. This is what led to my post. There is no "array initializing" message after creation either. Shouldn't there be? I can't remember if that happens at creation or after formatting... I plan to install debian if I can get a stable array back.

By the way, thanks for answering and for your patienc.e...