3910 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 1.75 bad?

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

iLO 1.75 bad?

Hi,

We upgraded two servers - one a DL360 G2 and the other a DL360 G3 to the lastest iLO firmware (1.75) and now both server show up with a major status (details show a problem with the iLo but are not specific) and worse yet, we can no longer connect remotely to the server using the iLO port!

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Nelson
6 REPLIES 6
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Nelson,

There appears to be an issue with ILO firmware updates when the ILO has a fixed IP address set prior to the firmware update. It should not affect DHCP enabled ILO's.

This has been seen on Blade servers and V1.80 which is due for release in the summer 2005 should resolve this.

With Blades you can use the local console diagnostic port to reset the ILO fixed IP and restore functionality. This should also be possible locally on the affected DL360 servers using Insight Manager and possibly the Management page https://localhost:2381 to reset things back to the expected values.

I hope this helps.

Brian

NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Hi Brian

I tried doing a reset iLO from management page (port 2381) on the server and this did not seem to fix it.

I wonder if I have a different problem...

Nelson
Michael Saurman
Advisor

Recovering from a failed iLO firmware update In the event that an iLO firmware update has failed, there are various recovery options. For all of these options, you need a current firmware image. HP does not recommended downgrading iLO firmware, and the version you have could be corrupt.

1. Download the latest iLO firmware. iLO downloads are available on the HP website (http://h18004.www1.hp.com/support/files/lights-out/us/index.html).

2. Determine if the update failed.
a. Can you ping iLO?
b. Can you log in?
c. Does the iLO Option ROM prompt appear during host POST?
d. Are the iLO status LEDs strobing in a regular pattern?

Examine the iLO status LEDs inside the server to see if they are strobing in a regular pattern from LED 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

If the iLO LED pattern is visible, proceed to step 4.

3. Attempt to re-flash over the network. You might be able to initiate a firmware update using RIBCL or a browser. If network flash failed, try the on-line flash component. Components are available for both Windowst├В┬о and Linux.

4. If the on-line flash component failed, try the ROMPAQ diskette.
a. Build the ROMPAQ diskettes and boot the host using disk 1.
b. You might need to set the iLO Security Override Switch for ROMPAQ to succeed. Restore the Security Override Switch after the flash process is complet
Stuart Coleshill
Occasional Advisor

I've had this problem with our Blade servers when upgrading the iLO to 1.75. The upgrade 'Enables' the ESIP and this takes priority over a static IP address.

As we don't have DHCP available to our iLO ports they become unusable.

The only way I've found to correct the problem is to reboot and use the F8 option to access the iLO settings. Then manually disable ESIP. The iLO port retains it's original static IP address setting so is then available.

If anyone knows how to reset the ESIP to disabled without having to reboot I'd love to know.
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

Solution: iLO was unplugged from the network. Too many changes at once; I install the 7.3 agents and firmware 1.75 at the same time.

With the 7.3 agents, it now generates a status error for the server in SIM if the iLO is not connected (no link). I just assumed it was the firware that caused the problem, but it was really a combination of the 7.3 agents on a new server I was building that was not connected via iLO yet.

Nelson
NJK-Work
Honored Contributor

The iLO is not bad - the cable was unplugged which the 7.3 agents now generate an error on.