3601 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO 100i Virtual KVM/Media iso image boot

Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

iLO 100i Virtual KVM/Media iso image boot

Hi
I have received an HP DL140G3 and I have enabled the Advance Pack license for it.
The server is located on a remote site and does not have DVD or Floppy installed.

I have added an ISO image of Windows 2003 STD to boot from but the system refuses to boot from the ISO KVM/Media.
Does anyone know how to remotely install Windows 2003 Server on a DL140G3 using the Virtual KVM/Media?

Thank you for your help.
6 REPLIES 6
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: iLO 100i Virtual KVM/Media iso image boot

When you access the virtual KVM (vKVM) of the server through LO100, you get a screen with the view of the server monitor & a menu bar.

Assuming that you have mounted the ISO image by choosing Device Type: ISO image, click "Connect" if not already connected.

Once connected, reboot the server. Check the BIOS settings, to make sure that CDROM is the first boot device.

You should then see Windows setup screen coming up on vKVM!

Good Luck!
Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

Thanks, but I have already tried it.
I have done the following:
Checked the bios boot order is CD -> Removable Device -> HDD.
Connected the ISO as:
1) ISO
2) CD

I have also put a CD of Windows 2003 Server onto the CD drive of the remote server, then I have connected and Shared the CD through the remote KVM and still it was unable to boot from it.

Any suggestions on what needs to be configured on the bios to enable the boot process?
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

Quite strange. I am doing the same thing on a DL140 G3 with LO100i. I used the Fedora 8 ISO & the server boots without having to select any other settings.

The only difference may be, the DL140 G3 I'm accessing already has an operating system installed on it, but that shouldn't matter.

This is what I did:

Click KVMS | Storage | Add | Selected Fedora ISO image | Selected Type as "ISO Image" | OK | Connect. At this point the Storage Device screen shows the IP address of my computer.

I then rebooted the server, which started booting it from the ISO image (Fedora 8).

You can try this: boot the server, remove any traces of attempts to load the storage devices. Add only one, ISO Image. But be sure that the server is actually switched on & displaying error about missing operating system or trying PXE boot. Then reboot the server. It really should work, if it doesn't its very strange.
Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
First, I thank you for your effort.
I tried everything but the server does not boot up from the Virtual CD.

You wrote I should see the IP address of the mapping host computer after the map is being done.
I could not find where is is located.

I have replaced the ISO to the original I am getting from Microsoft Volume License pack.
I have aslo tried to load the ISO into a daemon tools and see ig it is being recognize as CD.

Is there any site or article explaining the exact procedure to install the DL140G3 remotely without the need of remote assistance?
What are the bios setting required?
What is the ISO image required.
Jos-Admin
Occasional Advisor

Please see some screen shots I made imported in to Microsoft Word Document.
~sesh
Esteemed Contributor

All settings seem to be fine. I get the IP address in the Storage Devices (where I mounted the ISO), you have D:\xxxx.ISO.

Anyway, BIOS settings need to be under the Boot menu. Ensure that CD ROM is in the first place (top). Also disable Embedded NIC PXE.