1753528 Members
5084 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 Access all of a sudden not working on multiple servers

Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

I have also been working with the Western Michigan Technical lead for HPSIM here in Michigan, and he does not believe that HPSIM to be the issue, but he also has seen no customer alerts from HP indicating that customers should move away from 1.60 version of the firmware. But any of the iLO's that are at 1.70, 1.50, or 1.61 do not have this issue, only 1.60 version.

Maybe HPSIM is just reporting better than the previous version? Not sure here.
Dream On Alice This Ain't Wonderland
(NTFS) No Time For Stupidity
MacSWW
Frequent Advisor

Your testing does seem to point to firmware issues. Sounds like I'll have to bite the bullet and arrange some downtime for my file servers.

This could take a while, but I'll try updating the firmware on one, leave it for a while and see if iLO stays functional.

I'm running v1.61 firmware, so I'm surprised you've only seen issues with your v1.60 servers. Maybe there is problems with the latest SIM version and the older iLO firmware on G5 servers, but you'd have thought more people would have noticed.

Thanks for your help. I'll post back when I've done some testing.
Graeme Bray
Regular Advisor

We had this issue today where it was at 1.60, it would not load properly. I updated to 1.70 and the iLo worked just fine.

That's my suggestion.
Banksy

We upgraded to Sim 5.3 and the ILO 2 on DL380 G5 and BL460c servers started to fail. ILOs that have failed are on different firmwares including 1.60, 1.60 and 1.70. Assume the following from SIM 5.3 readme points to the culprit
In HP SIM 5.3, the new WS-Management protocol is used to identify and
access ProLiant iLO 2 management processors that have firmware revision
1.30 or higher. WBEM credentials are used with WS-Management as well as
with WBEM, so to properly identify an iLO with WS-Management you must
first add either a default WBEM credential or a system-specific WBEM
credential with the WS-Management user name and password. WS-Management is
accessed through port 443 by default, but other ports can be configured by
editing the wsmanportlist.xml file in the config/identification directory.

have to assume the problem is with the WS-Management protocol
Will be reinstalling SIM 5.2
MacSWW
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for pointing me in the direction of the HP SIM 5.3 ReadMe Banksy, should have really had a look at that myself ;-)

One of our file servers failed to come back up after a patch reboot at 3am this morning, so we took the opportunity to pull the power out before bringing it back up again.

The iLO port worked fine after this reset and I was able to update the firmware to v1.70 successfully. I also saw this in the ReadMe (p50):

"WBEM Indications
For ProLiant iLO2's to be properly identified with WS-MAN functionality, the iLO2 credentials must be the first credentials specified in either the discovery credential list or the global credential list when discovery is run. Otherwise, system credentials can be set directly for the system after it is discovered."

Having read this, we've removed all the entries in the Global Credentials page and re-entered them, with the iLO username and password at the top of the list.

I'll monitor this server for the rest of the week and if iLO stays up, I'll update the other 3 servers at the same time.

Thanks for everyone's help and I'll post back with any further info...
Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

Not sure how this has something to do with the servers that I have checked that are having the issue. The servers are set as SNMP and not WEBM but I don't know alot about SIM 5.3. Unless HPSIM is using WEBM as a default first and then falls back to SNMP.
MacSWW
Frequent Advisor

I'm not sure whether this has anything to do with the problems either; my knowledge of HP SIM is fairly limited as well. Having checked the Global Protocol Settings WBEM, WS-MAN and SNMP are all enabled in my config (the default I think). I take this to mean that WBEM will be used at some point to get information from systems (along with the other protocols); so re-ordering the username and password list can't hurt. It's certainly something I'm happy to try alongside the firmware update before re-installing HP SIM 5.2...
MacSWW
Frequent Advisor

For information, our file server iLO has been stable all week, so we're going to do the same for the other 3 when we can arrange downtime. Not sure if it was a combination of the firmware and HP SIM password re-ordering or just the firmware, but it seems to have worked for now...
Robert W. Eastman Jr._2
Frequent Advisor

Well I see that HP has finally come out with a customer advisory on this issue:

They have also come out with an update to HPSIM 5.3

http://h18013.www1.hp.com/products/servers/management/hpsim/dl_windows.html#hotfix
MacSWW
Frequent Advisor

Thanks for that Robert. It's funny, I've had a call outstanding with HP about this since the start and heard nothing. I'll install this hotfix on Monday.

Can you post a link to the advisory please. Thanks.