108787 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 2 not accessible-DL 380 G6 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
amishera
Advisor

iLO 2 not accessible-DL 380 G6 server

I have this DL 380 G6 server. I am connected a cable to the iLO port which is showing green. But during the POST, I don't see any option (like F8 for DL 380 G5) to access the iLO configuration. So I can't check how it is doing in terms of DHCP and IP settings. Moreover, when I opened the SMH page for the server and selected the iLO 2 NIC page the Link status is shown as failed. I then tried to put the cable connected to an existing port (which is getting the IP address) to the iLO port. But the same thing is happening. I was wondering what could be the reason for this. Any help would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
13 REPLIES 13
Zygmunt Krawczyk
Honored Contributor
Solution

You need to use iLO 2 Security Override switch
documented on page 198 in the doc:

HP Integrated Lights-Out 2 User Guide
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c00553302/c00553302.pdf

Location of the ilo security switch in DL380 G6 server is presented on page 14 and 15 in the doc:

HP ProLiant DL380 G6 Server User Guide
http://bizsupport2.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01705681/c01705681.pdf
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

The G6's will require that you press a key in order to see the post sequence. If you do not see this, then the iLO may not be responding. One way to get to start responding is to remove power with the power cord for 10 seconds or so, then power it back up.

I would recommend updating the iLO firmware as the latest (2.05) has multiple fixes for issues which cause the iLO to stop responding.
The truth is out there, but I forgot the URL..
amishera
Advisor

Too bad for me. I tried all the combinations of switch 1 and switch 2 (on-on, on-off, off-on, off-off) nothing turned on that darned thing.
Trygve Henriksen
Respected Contributor

I assume that it doesn't show up in the leases on the DHCP-server?
(These get names that begins with ILOxxxx )

If not, you could try to use the 'Proliant Support Pack' to install agents and the CLI utilities for the ILO card.
with those utilities it's possible to set IP manually, create users and set passwords and a lot of other fun stuff, so that it can be accessed with a browser later.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

I think the reason the iLO is accessible during POST is that it is not responding. This is usually caused by something on the network (malformed packets, port scanning software, etc.) where taking it off the network will not allow it to recover. Have you tried completely removing power from the server (pulling power cords for, at least, 10 seconds then power back up?
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Hi,

If there is no option as F8 during POST for iLO configuration, it means problem with iLO.

I would suggest, try updating firmware of iLO, if firmware update says there is no related hardware found then iLO is faulty.

Also try to completely power OFF/ON the server.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

amishera
Advisor

I was able to see the iLO page from SMH page. I don't know what I did. But still I can't access the iLO BIOS screen. That means if there is a networking problem or I forgot the password then I would be screwed.
Terry Hutchings
Honored Contributor

If it is accessible from the SMH then it appears to be working. If you are running Windows, I would recommend opening the "lights out online configuration utility" under HP system tools within the OS (there is a gui version within Windows). If you have some version of linux the hponcfg utility is run from the CLI. Under the settings there is an option to enable or disable the ROM Based Setup Utility for the iLO. It is possible this is disabled on your server and is causing you not to see the iLO F8 prompt during POST. Using this utility, you can also modify users/passwords, along with other networking settings.
amishera
Advisor

The installed OS is VMware ESX. I was able to get the SMH page after installing the IM agents. But I am not sure whether PSP packages are available for ESX.