1748224 Members
4489 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO 5 SNMP read stops working after several hours

alexmern

iLO 5 SNMP read stops working after several hours

Hello,

I'm using Zabbix 4 LTS with its standart template for HPE iLO for server monitoring. Every sensors reading working well, but after some time (about 10-12 hours after reset) iLO stops to respond. This problem appears on several ProLiant DL560 Gen10 with iLO 5 (1.35). Only iLO reset helps.

Anyone using Zabbix SNMP for monitoring?

18 REPLIES 18
Jazz_ISS
HPE Pro

Hello, 

The reported issue could be a compatibility issue with your 3rd Party software.Again since HPE has not tested Zabbix with HPE ILO hence I can't confirm the same .
HPE iLO for ProLiant support delivery of SNMP server agent alerts as well as internally generated management processor alerts, to a management console such as HPE Systems Insight Manager
(HPE SIM), insight control, OneView.

HPE Integrated Lights Out (iLO 5) for Gen10 Servers - Configuring iLO Management Settings:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00105236en_us&page=GUID-8FE3C00D-92C9-4801-A5EE-3E283932CDEB.html

ILO5 User Guide:
https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00105236en_us

Regards, 

Jazz

[Moderator edit: Updated the broken links.]

I work for HPE

Accept or Kudo

Bart Van Cutsem
Advisor

Yes, running Zabbix 4 LTS with a DL380 Gen10 en iLO5 firmware v1.37. Here, iLO regularly stops responding to SNMP requests but recovers, after a few days it stops responding completely and needs to be reset.
Bart Van Cutsem
Advisor

Also monitoring a bunch of DL360p Gen8 and DL380 Gen9 servers, no issues (with iLO4).

tivapi
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

I meet the same issue with ILO 5 / firmware from 1.20 to 1.37 including /

Steps to reproduce:

1.) Log in into ILO on Gen10 server with ILO v5 firmware from 1.20 to 1.37 including

2.) Go to Management

3.) In SNMP Settings under Read Community 1 place community name to the desired name, for example: public

4.) Under Status - double check if SNMP server is enabled - default SNMP service is enabled on port 161

5.) Perform snmpwalk -v 1 -c public ILO5_IP-address sysName.0 once every hour

I have also tried as suggested here: https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00105236en_us instead of filling only read community 1 - to include all values in SNMP settings / system location, system contact, system role, system role detail, read community 1, read community 2, read community 3 /.

After a couple of hours SNMP stops responding on port 161. Tested with version 1 and version 2. Only resetting ILO helps to restore the connection to the SNMP server.

In the last 10 years I am collecting server health information via SNMP (v1 or v2 running on port 161 with community name public) . Most of my servers are DL380 / from G6 to G10 incl/ . I meat this issue only on Gen10 servers which are with ILO v5. I believe it is non sense which are 3rd party softwares I'm using, since it is not related to why SNMP service stops reponding.

My Gen10 servers arrived with firmware 1.20 and I upgraded firmware to version 1.37.  I did an upgrade only on ILO firmware. However, from version 1.20 up to version 1.37 SNMP service stops working after a couple of hours.

I've already tried to configure remote syslog and SNMP traps to check what is going on. Unfortunately no related information regarding why SNMP servers stops responding.

If you need any other information, please let me know.

Could you please suggest how to debug why integrated SNMP server in ILO v5 stops working ? (I've already tried to collect information via remote syslog and traps, but no related regarding why SNMP server stop working)

Thank you

---

Edit: Forgot to mention that I'm using ILO Dedicated Network Port

[Moderator edit: Updated the valid link.]

RMSTO
Occasional Visitor

Hello,

we have the same problem here.

ProLiant DL380 Gen10
Server System ROM: U30 v1.42 (06/20/2018)
ILO Firmware Version: 1.37 Oct 25 2018

ILO SNMP v2 public

ILO stops responding to SNMP requests after a few hours or days. Only resest of the ILO restores the SNMP connection.

Zabbix itself has no own snmp implementation it uses the default Linux/Unix net-snmp utils for accessing the ILO SNMP. If Zabbix did not get values, it is also impossible to get values by snmpwal or snmpget or any other SNMP MIB Browser.

Seems to be a problem of the ILO Board.

CU

Thomas

HPYEEE

I have the same problem with snmp at ProLiant DL380 Gen9 iLO 4.  Please, fix it!

Jason_E
Occasional Visitor

Uncheck 'Use bulk requests' for the snmp settings for the host in Zabbix.

Hyper-Bob
Visitor

BUMP...

HPe can we please have a solution to this issue.

I have a number of gen9 DL380's which function completely fine using SNMP sensor checks in PRTG.

PRTG monitoring has the same issue being described here, I have 3 new Gen10 DL380's which have the exact symptom.

All firmware is the latest, snmp checks have been setup using version 2 and version 3 snmp without a suitable result.

HPe have even gone to the degree of replacing one of the iLO integrated system boards, which previously resolved the issue until the latest SPP firmware release.

archspangler
Occasional Visitor

HPE,

Any resolutions to this?  I am seeing the same problem with ilo5 1.37.