ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1745804 Members
3995 Online
108722 Solutions
New Discussion

iLO Upgrade | Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media initialization failed due to media write-verify

Anthony_Pap
Visitor

iLO Upgrade | Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media initialization failed due to media write-verify

After upgrading the iLO on one of our Servers I am getting the following message:

“Controller firmware revision 2.10.00 Embedded media initialization failed due to media write-verify test failure”

and the indication Degraded on page Overview of iLO Health Status.

I 've found the link below from HPE documentation:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=a00048622en_us

After checking on the first method suggested, I noticed a particular warning that has to do with BIOS:

WARNING: Formatting the Embedded Flash erases all data on the iLO partition and cannot be undone. External providers (like BIOS, Intelligent Provisioning, OneView and FLM) will need to be re-configured.

Is it safe to proceed in such an action, given that there is a certain configuration on the RAID controller and maybe other additional BIOS settings, that could be affected. This particular server is really important to risk any further issues. Could you please suggest any of the other indicated methods as "safer", in terms of not risking to lose crucial BIOS configuration?

The server is a HP ProLiant ML310e Gen8 v2 and the firmware was updated from version 1.40 to version 2.78.

Thanks in advance,

Anthony Papathanasiou

17 REPLIES 17
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: iLO Upgrade | Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media initialization failed due to media write-ve

Formatting the NAND does not affect the RAID.

Follow this advisory

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00048622en_us

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Re: iLO Upgrade | Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media initialization failed due to media write-ve

Thenupgrade ILO through the web interface

I Haq
Anthony_Pap
Visitor

Thank you very much for your help and concern.

My question is based on the warning message below, which is part of NAND Format Method 1: Use the iLO 4 GUI :

WARNING: Formatting the Embedded Flash erases all data on the iLO partition and cannot be undone. External providers (like BIOS, Intelligent Provisioning, OneView and FLM) will need to be re-configured.

How risky could this procedure be in terms of motherboard BIOS settings or, even, functionality?

Please keep in mind that the server is a DC and the owner of FSMO roles in the AD.

Thanks and regards

Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Can you generate an AHS report? If not, then it's probably not a NAND issue and formatting won't help. Are there any error messages during POST? There are several different issues that can cause a degraded iLO that aren't corrected by formatting the NAND.

You can perform the NAND format with the server off, iLO runs independent of the server, it just needs power.

Correct it just erases the NAND flash for iLO and formats it. Good luck on that actually fixing your problem. Those NAND chips fail and there’s nothing a format can do.

I Haq
Ihaqueit
Trusted Contributor

Actually, this is the point, but even if there is other data on the SD card, they will not be erased.
Only iLO partitions are erased.

Therefore, it is possible to perform the above operations even when the server is running.

However, if you are booting ESXi from an SD card,it is strongly recommended to shut down the OS and then format it, so let's do so.

Above, when iLO is Degraded, it was a method of formatting only the management area of iLO of SD card.

I Haq
ManBha
HPE Pro

Hello,

In most cases, this should not cause any production impact.

You can also proceed with the system board replacement in case of any issues.

Thanks.

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

Anthony_Pap
Visitor

Re: iLO Upgrade | Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media initialization failed due to medi

Thank you all very much for your answers.

Unfortunately I couldn't find any definite or straightforward.

The way I see it is that the procedure is rather risky, and according to the last answer, there is a chance that the system board should be replaced.

Since it's a rather old Server, I guess it's better to leave the situation as it is, until I come up with a "safe" way to overcome the problem reported.

Thanks again and regards.

ScottRCI
Occasional Advisor

Re: iLO Upgrade | Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: Embedded media initialization failed due to medi

Hi @Anthony_Pap  did you ever get this resolved?  We have one of these as well, and I did a board replacement (although with a used board) and the issue persists.

Did you ever find out if this actually causes issues ???  We do NOT use the SD card, so just wondering if we are ok.

scamposgarci
Visitor

I have the same ILO memory issue, but it also seems to make not able to log into my system BIOS.

I tried to format the NAND with all the methods listed in https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docId=emr_na-a00048622en_us and the output seems to be possitive according to the messages displayed, but it never shows the message in the ILO log section "Embedded Flash/SD-CARD: One or more storage devices have been formatted". 

I tried:

• via the iLO GUI
  • Windows (Remote Format)
  • Linux or VMware (Local Format)

In addition how can I contact wioth HP support so I would get a replacement board? It seems that you have to have a support contract even for getting a quote, what is crazy considering I'm a hobbyist end user and my server is for personal use.