4923 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO Virtual media PORT

gbzygil
Occasional Contributor

iLO Virtual media PORT

Hi,

The ilo3 is set to use the default virtual media port 17988.

But, when i did a packet capture, i saw that the ilo used a different port (sometimes 62073, sometimes 63633), to boot from the virtual media.

(In fact in the entire session of a server booting from a remote IIS hosted iso file, there was not even asingle occurance of the port 17988.)

Screenshots of both are attached.

Does anyone know why ?

3 REPLIES 3
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

There are basically TWO different Virtual Media engines inside iLO.

With the first engine, iLO is a Virtual Media Server and it listens to TCP Port 17988. Remote Console apps (Java, .NET and Mobile apps for IOS and Android) connect to this port after these apps authenticate the user credentials using SSL.

With the second engine, iLO is a Virtual Media Client and it connects to an HTTP/HTTPS server to grab the ISO image. In this case, iLO picks a random local TCP port, like any other OS would do when the its browser connects to a webserver.

Thanks for the reply.

I need to get ports opened in my firewall. If the ports and random (the second case mentioned), is there a range we can open up? Is this documented somewhere?

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

I believe firewalls only care about Destination TCP port numbers, not the random "local" TCP port any Network Stack would pick when it establishes a new TCP connection.