3244 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO don't sync time with NTP Server

Maik5977
Occasional Visitor

iLO don't sync time with NTP Server

Hello,

my DL360 G7 servers don't sync time with NTP Server. I tried it with many different external time Servers (over IP annd with FQND) and with internal Firewall. But always the same message in logs "iLO time update failed. Unable to contact NTP server. I tried it from internal network (behind the Firewall) and with the network beteen router and firewall without policy the block any ports. 

I updated the server to the newest BIOS and iLO. All post over iLO and NTP i found in the last 6 weeks could not help me.

I anyone here that have an idea for me?

4 REPLIES 4
pchops
HPE Pro

If you are certain the NTP traffic is not being blocked, this is most likely a connectivity issue, if I were to venture a guess. I would start with checking the connectivity from the iLO to an NTP server behind your firewall. If you login to the iLO command line interface, you can see if you can ping the NTP server, ie:

</>hpiLO-> oemhp_ping {NTP-server-IP}

32 bytes from {NTP-server-IP}: icmp_seq=1 errs=0 time=2 ms

status=0
status_tag=COMMAND COMPLETED
Sat Mar 27 16:47:51 2021

The ping was successful.

If the ping is successfully, you could then check the NTP traffic coming from the iLO. If you don't have access to the NTP server, but you do have another system you can run tcpdump or wireshark from, you could temporarily set the Primary Time Server setting on the iLO to point to said system (even if it isn't setup as an NTP server) and then monitor the NTP traffic (port 123) just to make sure it is being received.

I work for HPE
Maik5977
Occasional Visitor

image.pngimage.png

Good morning,
ping is successful.

</>hpiLO-> oemhp_ping 173.212.196.208    (0.de.pool.ntp.org)
32 bytes from 173.212.196.208: icmp_seq=1 errs=0 time=33 ms
status=0
status_tag=COMMAND COMPLETED
Mon Mar 29 08:53:28 2021
The ping was successful.
</>hpiLO->

The iLO is before the firewall any only behind the router. No traffic will be blocked.
But the Message ist the same. Why is the time stamp by initial update not the same like the date/time under system overview?

pchops
HPE Pro

Are other devices and/or the host operating system able to sync to the same pool?

Regarding:

Why is the time stamp by initial update not the same like the date/time under system overview?

The "Initial Update" is the date/time of the first occurrence that entry type (notice that there are 1316 of those entries and the "Last Update" is the date/time of the most recent of said entries).

I work for HPE
ksram
HPE Pro

Hi

Looks like there is some communication issues between the NTP Server and the Server.

Possible to use the BIOS Time and monitor to check and later you may revert back to NTP Server.

Thank you

RamKS 

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo