cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLO password recovery/reset on a blade system

Adam Coven
Occasional Visitor

iLO password recovery/reset on a blade system

I understand that you can use the RBSU to reset the iLO password but on a blade system you don't have console access without using iLO. What can be done to recover/reset the password?

Thanks for any help
9 REPLIES
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Re: iLO password recovery/reset on a blade system

Adam:

You need to pull out the blade form the enclosure, open it up... look for the bank of switches towards the front left side, I believe there is a diagram underneath the top cover... and flip switch 1, I think it is 1 (haven't done it in a while) and re-insert the blade into the enclosure to power up the ilo. This allows you to get into the ilo without using any password.

Once you reset the password, you need to go back into the blade and flip the switch to disable free ilo access once again.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
Adam Coven
Occasional Visitor

The information provided was correct, there is a security reset dip switch on the blade and it is identified as dip 1 on the inside of the case. But, it is still requesting a login/password when I try to access the iLO. Is it possible that the login information is stored on the blade management server (the add-on module attached to the bladecenter that handles the iLO management)? I would have thought that the individual logins would be stored on each blade but maybe that is not the case?

Thanks again.
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Did you try logging in? Just put in "Administrator" for ther user nad anythingfor the password.. or even nothing and click login.

It should let you right in.

If it is not, there there is a bigger issue at play.

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Adam Coven
Occasional Visitor

Sorry, I did try to login both with Administrator and with all blank. All blank gives an invalid login error and the Administrator gives the standard:

>iLO has detected a failed login attempt.
>Cause: Unauthorized.
>Please wait for login prompt

Anything else we can try?
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

If the switch has been set properly, the login screen will indicate that the security has been diabled. At that point, the login button can be used without making any entries.

Alternatively, the HPONCFG utility can be used from the host OS to set/change configuration including username/password.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

go with capital ADMINISTRATOR
Password blank
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

BTW if you have online access Update Firmware to latest one 1.80 or 1.82
Steven Clementi
Honored Contributor

Adam:

Did you capitolize the "A" in Administrator?

Steven
Steven Clementi
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
RHCE
Adam Coven
Occasional Visitor

Hello,
I tried all the variations of logins and nothing worked. I do not have the latest firmware and I will be upgrading.

I have actually fixed the issue. I found a I/O dongle that connects to the blade and allows you to connect a monitor and keyboard to it. After boot-up I used the RBSU to reset the password.

Thanks for all your help.