ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753831 Members
8872 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: iLO will not allow me to install OS, cannot be reset.

JonathanAnon
Occasional Advisor

iLO will not allow me to install OS, cannot be reset.

on HP Proliant Gen8 ML350e Server.

Having problems with this.. While trying to optimized the server install procedure, I tried to disable iLO on the server.

Now when I use Intelligent Provisioning, at the Step 2: OS Selection stage, it gives me an error saying "Please attach some optical or iLO media before continuing" when I click the button to move to the next step. It will not move past this point.

So I decided to simply reset the iLO back to the factory configuration. I booted to Intelligent Provisioning then choose the Perform Maintenance option, and iLO Configuration from the submenu. I then click on the Reset/Reboot option. This presents me with two options:

Reboot iLO

Reset To Factory Default Settings

When I click either a dialog box appears with the message "undefined", and nothing else.

I dont have an Operating System installed that I can boot to, to use the Windows iLO software to reset. There doesnt seem to be anything in the BIOS, and there is no SmartStart CD available that I can boot to to reset.

Can anybody advise me on how to get around this.
thanks,
Jonathan.

3 REPLIES 3
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

If iLO was disabled, it can only be re-enabled by flipping the iLO security override switch on the system board then, going to iLO Option ROM during POST where it can be enabled back.

Hi Oscar, 

Thanks for your post. 

I kind of presumed that since I had use the software to disable, that I would be able to use the software to enable again. I will try what you suggested. 

regards, 

J

rtakahashi

I had the same message displaying in my new server.. and you are not going to believe what was the problem.. I think you solved , but Optical Media means the Operational System CD/DVD ..  you should put it on your drive.. Putting info here to others know what this error mean.