1751907 Members
5095 Online
108783 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO2 not working

Angad Singh

iLO2 not working

I have three HP DL385 G2 Servers running Windows 2003 Server R2. I was successful in configuring iLO2 Standard for two servers but failed to configure on one server.

I have tried following steps:
(Please note server in question itself is DHCP server)

1. Disabled DHCP. Add Static IP, Subnet Mask and Gateway.
Issue: Cannot ping IP from any machine, cant reach via web interface. Same machines can ping other server (iLO2 configured with same settings).
2. Enabled DHCP. I had to Leave Static IP and other details as it was not getting erased. When I try to make IP 0.0.0.0 (as default) it displayed error message "not a valid IP".
Issue: Can ping Static IP and access web interface until server boots to OS. Once OS is started and DHCP server started ping stopped working and cant access web interface. Restarted the server but same issue and also there is no DHCP lease details in DHCP server. Cant see DHCP IP in iLO configuration.

3. Reset iLO2 and make DHCP enabled with no Static IP.
Issue: no IP lease details in DHCP server and no DHCP IP details in iLO2 configuration.

Please suggest ! This is our main server and we deadly need iLO2 working on this server.
8 REPLIES 8
Mi6t0
Trusted Contributor

Re: iLO2 not working

Hi,

You may find some useful advices here:
http://forums12.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1205854

Did you try flashing ILO2 Firmware to 1.50?

Kind regards,
Angad Singh

I have not tried upgarding the firmware. The firmware is same as we have on other servers and it is working fine.

LEDs on MB are also showing same status as other server with working iLO2 shows.

I have not tried reseting iLO2 using the swicthes (on motherboard) yet. I dont want to try that thing so soon.

One more thing, I can see iLO2 initiating at the startup of server as it displays iLO2 version, tells it is ok and show IP address.
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

"Can ping Static IP and access web interface until server boots to OS. Once OS is started and DHCP server started ping stopped working and cant access web interface"

- can you access the ilo web-iterface through this ip-adress when the server is powered-down (no OS active)?

The ilo can be configured to display DHCP-adress at startup (on the physical console).

The ilo-port can be configured as a shared ILO/LAN port. In this case it's normal that the OS-configured adress takes over most traffic after boot. see below for extract of ilo user guide.

An iLO Shared Network Port using the server's NIC instead of the dedicated
iLO management NIC for server management. This configuration simplifies
the network and reduces total network cost. Fewer cables, hubs, and switches
are needed because both regular and iLO network traffic comes through the
system NIC.
The main disadvantage of using the iLO Shared Network Port for iLO server
management is the lack of speed compared to the dedicated iLO management
NIC. As a result, not all iLO management features are available through the
iLO Shared Network Port configuration.
Angad Singh

I can only ping IP in one weird situation:

Put static IP and DHCP to ON > Ping Worked until OS boots. After antother restart that also stopped working. Then you have to reset iLO2 to get ping working with same weird situation.

Put static IP and DHCP to OFF > Ping did not work when server is off or also when server is on

How do I check if it is shared or not. Can you please tell me where to go to check?

Thanks
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

static-ip and dhcp should be mutually exclusive.
if you really can set both to ON then the ILO has lost it's senses.

Or do you mean the static-ip stays configured, but is dimmed when you select dhcp?

when you select dhcp how do you detect the ip-adress it get's from the dhcp-server?
Angad Singh

It never gets an IP from DHCP....When we select DHCP, static IP dont get dimmed at all. It stays there. You need to apply settings and then restart the server. But after restart static IP still same and changeble even if DHCP is ON. We may give one more try with DHCP off and static IP. Lets see what happens.
Is there any way, we can give static IP to iLO2 interface while server OS is running? I am not sure....
Pieter 't Hart
Honored Contributor

unless u configured it as shared and only use one connection to the network as i mentioned above, the ILO-port uses a totally different connector than the host-NIC (unther the power-supply ?)

The ilo-port functions BEFORE the OS get's installed and is not related to the OS-type(windows/linux/vmware).

in a normal situation you use one cable for the ILO with network-adress-1 (fixed or dhcp) and another cable for the host-NIC with network-adress-2 (offcourse different address than the ILO).
Angad Singh

I have understood the difference between different connections and therfore got iLO2 working on other servers. I am doing same as I have done with other servers. I have not got chance to try again but will do soon.