ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748045 Members
5081 Online
108757 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

iLO2 shared network port with 802.3ad LACP trunk?

nox_1

iLO2 shared network port with 802.3ad LACP trunk?

Hi,

I'm trying one last time to see if this is possible. I have a proliant 580 G5 setup using iLO2 on the shared network port. Everything is working fine. We had to trunk the second embedded NIC for bandwidth reasons using 802.3ad LACP trunking and now the iLO will no longer work when the trunk is active. The iLO does work when the server is rebooting during POST, once it is in the OS and the trunk port is up again, iLO drops off.

Has anyone tried to get iLO working on the shared port with 802.3ad trunking active on the two embedded ports? It seems it isn't supported but the documentation doesn't specifically mention that it isn't and phone support was a little confused but said it wasn't supported anyway. I ask again since they told me to use the dedicated iLO port for the OS but I'm pretty sure that isn't possible...
2 REPLIES 2
rick jones
Honored Contributor

Re: iLO2 shared network port with 802.3ad LACP trunk?

I cannot say that I'm specifically familiar with the iLO on the DL580 G5, but I doubt that it would be able to listen-in on more than the one port, which means if you want to trunk that port with the other embedded, you'll have to go the unshared network port path with the iLO using the iLO port and not trying to share the one host port. So, iLO using its "normal" port, and the host/OS using theith "normal" ports. No sharing between the two.

Once the trunk is established, the switch will be "scheduling" packets on the links of the trunk based on its packet scheduling algorithm, which makes it a crap shoot as to whether the frames to the iLO end-up on the link the iLO can sniff.

The only long-shot I can think of is finding a way on the switch to make sure that it always places traffic to the MAC address of the iLO on the link in the trunk that is shared.
there is no rest for the wicked yet the virtuous have no pillows
ML110
Occasional Contributor

Re: iLO2 shared network port with 802.3ad LACP trunk?

http://community.hpe.com/t5/ProLiant-Servers-ML-DL-SL/How-to-get-HP-ProLiant-ML10-v2-ILOv4-shared-NIC-working-with/td-p/6861241

Have you guys ever been able to get iLO working when the shared NIC is using 802.3ad? Windows or Linux...