3995 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iLO4 Virtual Drive ISO URL

kkpro
Regular Advisor

iLO4 Virtual Drive ISO URL

Hi,

Anyone has working URL Image as Virtual Drive/CDROM in iLO4's Remote Console ? I have iLO advanced license on Proliant DL360p Gen 8. Local iso image ("Image File") is working without problem. But when I try using iso image located at URL (http://....) it never works.

12 REPLIES 12
Renjiv
Respected Contributor

Greetings!

You can try the below steps and see if it helps (please log in with Admin account)

1. Use an existing web server, or install a new web server for the purpose of delivering the ISO files
  2. Create a folder to hold the ISO images
  3. Add ISO file(s)
  4. Enable directory browsing in Web Services. You can do this with the IIS manager if its a Windows web server. If you created a custom folder for the files, enable directory browsing on that folder.
  5. You must add a MIME type for the ISO extension. In Server 2008 IIS, you can do this from the HTTP Headers selection in IIS Manager.
    1. .ISO application/octet-stream
    2. .IMG application/octet-stream
  6. Login to the ILO target server, and open the remote console
  7. At the top of the window, click on Virtual Drives, and then select URL DVD ROM
  8. Input the HTTP path to the image file, including the file name. Click connect and it will mount the drive. Path will resemble "http://hostname or IP/folder/filename.ISO"

If your path is correct and available, the ILO target server can be rebooted and it should boot to the ISO file in the CDROM URL path.

Please refer page # 46-48 for more info:

https://support.hpe.com/hpesc/public/docDisplay?docLocale=en_US&docId=c03334058

Regards,

Renji V

Was this post useful? -
To say thanks click the "thumbs up" icon below!!! .....
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Hello Renji

Does it mean, that standart internet path to any site with iso image will not work ? I have no any local web servers...

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

As long as the web site is configred to handle the ISO type it doesn't matter where the server is. The iLO just need to be able to connect to it

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You may see problems if the image is too large, the connection is too slow or both ... better use a local webserver.

Google "usbwebserver" for example, very small and portable.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
kkpro
Regular Advisor

Thanks for replies. My conclusion, that this feature is useless for me - I see no differencies in speed using local iso image and local webserver, -  when I need to install server on another side of the world and network link is really slow.

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@kkpro wrote:

Thanks for replies. My conclusion, that this feature is useless for me - I see no differencies in speed using local iso image and local webserver, -  when I need to install server on another side of the world and network link is really slow.

There would be no difference if the web server is local to your client.   You need a web server local to the server on the other side of the world to host the ISO and use the URL feature of virtual media for a speedy installation

kkpro
Regular Advisor

OK. Then I don't understand, how to tell iLO using local ethernet interfaces. Is it generally possible ?

So, let's say I have a remote server with eth1 connected directly to internet (or LAN, doesn't matter).

Seems to be when I try to mount Virtaul Drive as URL in iLO session, it uses connection from my local computer.

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

You can configure ILO for dedicated network on its own NIC or for shared network using lan1, but in this case it still needs an own address. ILO cannot use the same network that the server owns.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

@kkpro wrote:

OK. Then I don't understand, how to tell iLO using local ethernet interfaces. Is it generally possible ?

So, let's say I have a remote server with eth1 connected directly to internet (or LAN, doesn't matter).

Seems to be when I try to mount Virtaul Drive as URL in iLO session, it uses connection from my local computer.

For iLO virtual media you have two options for ISO media,  Image File, and URL. Image file is for mounting an image (or media) from the client you are accessing the iLO from. The URL option is used to point to an image on an http, or ftp server. In theory that could be your cient, but most clients are  not http, or ftp servers.

I don't think you have mentioned what model server you are working with. Are you using the dedicated iLO port, or are you using iLO in shared port mode?

iLO doesn't use the local ethernet interface (unless in shared port mode), even then it requires a seperate IP address.

Regardless of how iLO is connected, it must have the proper network access to get to the remote host that the URL is pointing to.