Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iLo4 and 'alertmail'

Robo
Advisor

iLo4 and 'alertmail'

Hi all

My ongoing woes with iLo4 - can anyone help with the config of alertmail?  I have tried all manner of configurations but am unable to get alertmail to send out any email (even tests). I'm assuming this is the new way to get email alerts of hardware issues since the software was excluded on the Gen8 that used to do this?

many thanks!!

rob

19 REPLIES
Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Re: iLo4 and 'alertmail'

What iLO4 firmware version? Do you have Advanced License?

Mine is running 1.22 and I get lots of spam from my iLO4 since the server is being used by others for testing.

Hi

It's v1.20 and it is an advanced license. What config are you using for your smtp server etc?

I've tried the local server, the relay server of the ISP and direct to my exechange server without any luck.. ;-(

Oscar A. Perez
Honored Contributor

Are you using IP address for the SMTP server? 

I've tried IP address and DNS names to no avail...

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

What little bit I've played with this feature, depending on your SMTP server you may need to put in a valid domain for the "Sender Domain"

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Daren Friday
Frequent Advisor

Did you ever get it working. I have the same issue
BrownTech
Occasional Visitor

i've got this working if anyone wants a doc on it let me know....

jackie-123
Occasional Contributor

could you Please share the documents as we are facing the same problem.

My iLo networks lies on a vlan with A domain whereas

SMTP Server  lies on another vlan with B domain.

we configured to accept the traffic from valn A and B and routing is configured also.

It would be appreciate if you can share your experiences on setting the alert email

Thanks.

andreirk
Occasional Visitor

I'm getting this is if try to configure it to work with a linux email server:

2014-07-11 14:05:55.069224500 1157 tls plugin (init): ciphers: HIGH:!SSLv2
2014-07-11 14:05:55.072548500 1157 tls plugin (init): ciphers: HIGH:!SSLv2
2014-07-11 14:05:55.083127500 1157 tls plugin (init): ciphers: HIGH:!SSLv2
2014-07-11 14:05:55.088721500 1157 check_earlytalker plugin (connect): remote host started talking before we said hello

2014-07-11 14:05:55.089003500 1157 logging::logterse plugin (deny): `<ip address> <server name>

check_earlytalker 902 Connecting host started transmitting before SMTP greeting msg denied before queued
2014-07-11 14:05:55.089133500 1157 450 Connecting host started transmitting before SMTP greeting
2014-07-11 14:05:55.089269500 1157 click, disconnecting
2014-07-11 14:05:56.047857500 2945 cleaning up after 1157

waaronb
Respected Contributor

It sounds like the ILO isn't waiting for the server message, whatever it might be, before sending stuff.  Normally that would be a sign of some spambot, but in this case it seems like the SMTP sender on the ILO just isn't very patient.

It's a somewhat common technique that email servers might use to flag potential spam: introduce some variable delay between when the connection is made and when whatever text is sent to the remote system, indicating it's ready.  Systems that try and send stuff before then are *probably* (but not always) some spambot infected system.  A well behaved client will wait.

If your email server isn't public you could try disabling that feature if possible (the "check_earlytalker" plugin it mentions).  Although I'd be a little surprised if ILO wasn't actually waiting... You could try and sniff the traffic and see if that's what's actually happening.  Or at least disable that check, see if it works, and then bug HP for a fix, because really,  it's not cool to start jabbering away before the SMTP server greets you. :)

BAC_EBP
Occasional Visitor

Make sure you have entered an Domain Name under Network -> iLO Dedicated Network Port -> General

Otherwhise your <Mail From> - Adress for AlertMail will look like <Hostname>.@<SenderDomain>
Note the point between <Hostname> and @, this will cause Exchange Servers (Exchane 2013) to discard Alert Messages from this sender.

If you enter an Domain Name  it just works fine.
Your <Mail From> - Adress will look like <Hostname>.<DomainName>@<SenderDomain>...

Also make sure to use the IP-Adress instead of DNS-Name of the Mail-Server if you have not defined any internal DNS-Servers in Network -> iLO Dedicated Network Port - IPv4 Settings .

YujiEda
Occasional Visitor

Hi all,

I was also the same situation.

It has been solved by the use of SSH and command.

example

cd /map1/oemhp_alartmail1

oemhp_alartmail_email=test@test.co.jp

YujiEda
Occasional Visitor

sorry,

There was a mistake2.

Login to iLO.

cd /map1/oemhp_alertmail1

set oemhp_alertmail_email=test@test.co.jp

mcse4hugh
Occasional Visitor

Your doc on setting this up would be great!

Paul-W
Occasional Visitor

Greetings mate. a copy of the doc would be very much appreciated.

KP23
Occasional Visitor

That is exactly the fix  [assuming all others are setup correctly ] that worked for me.

Thanks !

Runawayace
Occasional Visitor

Can you please send me the doc that you have with the fix for this that worked for you?

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Unfortunately it doesn't appear this user has ever logged back into the forums since making this post in 2014

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
RyanTausch
Occasional Visitor

Confirmed the suggestion above "adding domain to network/general" works!

For whatever reason if the domain name field is blank under iLO Dedicated Network Port/General the Alertmail Function will not work. Also note, if your ipv6 or ipv4 is set to DHCP, the domain field is greyed out. Be sure you uncheck the ipv4 or ipv6 option "Use DHCPv6 Supplied Domain Name"

ilo4 DL380 G9, ilo fw is 2.50