ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iS IT POSSIBLE TO CLONE JUST 1 INDIVIDUAL DRIVE FROM A RAID 0 ARRAY?

IBKOOOL
Occasional Visitor

iS IT POSSIBLE TO CLONE JUST 1 INDIVIDUAL DRIVE FROM A RAID 0 ARRAY?

Here is my delema. I have two WD 250 GB drives set up in a raid 0 array, !strictly for performance!
as fate would have it, one of the drives failed,lucky for me, if you can call any of this luck, the
two drives are identical, SO BY SWAPPING the circuit boad from the good drive to the bad one, I can
again access the failed drive but that leaves me with one circuit board for two drives. My thoughts
were to clone each drive individually to two new 250 gb drives by swapping the circuit board,
the problem that I'm having with that is this, all the cloning software that I have tried including
True image from Acronis is seeing the single drive as a 500 gb and hence an error message
"destination drive does not have enough room". Is there any software out there that can clone one
drive to a similar size drive irregardless of what infomation is written on the source drive or is it
even possible to clone raid 0 drives individualy and if so, how do I do it?

Please Help.---- Thanks.
4 REPLIES
David Claypool
Honored Contributor

Re: iS IT POSSIBLE TO CLONE JUST 1 INDIVIDUAL DRIVE FROM A RAID 0 ARRAY?

Sorry. The drive signature is the compendium of the 2. Think of Siamese twins that can't be separated.
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

the only chance you have is to find out a new circuit board ...

bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
e4services
Honored Contributor

I see you have a 500gb logical out of the 2- 250s, there for eyou can not read the logical drive with only one of the drives. What the big recovery guys would do, is buy another drive of same and use the board of it.
Hot Swap Hard Drives
Mark Wibaux
Trusted Contributor

You might get lucky if your application can do a forensic image or copy. This way the software doesn't try to look at the partition on the drive it just copies bit for bit across to the new drive. I'm fairly sure Ghost has this ability, not sure about other apps.