5562 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: iSCSI Hardware Initiator with NC382 using Microsoft Initiator

Andrew Morison
Occasional Contributor

iSCSI Hardware Initiator with NC382 using Microsoft Initiator

Hi All

I'm trying to get some Proliants connecting to a P4300 SAN using the NC382 but using the Hardware acceleration which is built in.

Windows 2008 R2

MS Initiator

If I connect to it using the Microsoft Software initiator, it works first time, everytime..

If I turn on iSCSI Device in NCU and assign an IP address, then in the MS iScsi Initiator under Discovery,  I can assign Local Adaptor to the new Hardware one, not the MS initiator and it finds the targets.

However, if I try to connect to them at all (with every combination available) I get "Login Failed"

We don't have CHAP enabled on the Target. Enabling doesn't fix it.

I'm missing something, and there are no documents on how to complete this successfully..

Help.

Andrew Morison

6 REPLIES 6
Andrew Morison
Occasional Contributor

Please find attached the final Attachment

AndreyZ
Advisor

NC382T works fine.

Can you ping your storage from server ?

If you don't use storage native drivers/tools for configuration, you can configure it via iSCSI initiator.

1. Add target on Discovery tab, Discover Portal

Check you settings and passwords

You should choose correct source ip address

2. Add target on Targets tab as Qucik Connect, provide the same settings

When you added your targed on this tab, you should click 'connect' button and it should be connected.

I hope it will help.

jraper9320
Occasional Visitor

What is the status of this post?  is there a resolution?

Andrew Morison
Occasional Contributor

Sorry.. No one has been able to help..

Sean Overall
Occasional Contributor

Exact same issue here... Any updates??

Sean Overall
Occasional Contributor

Just an FYI, after reading through countless documents and spending hours on the phone with HP, we finally had the case escalated to Tier3 and they flat told us hardware iSCSI does not work with the SANiQ systems. It is a limitation of SANiQ, because it is designed for smaller implementations that would typically use software based solutions, rather than enterprise level hardware implementations.  

In short, if you want Enterprise class iSCSI offloading via iSCSI Advanced Pack for older NC 37x series NICs or using the newer NC38x series NICs  (even the QLOGIC HBAs are not gauranteed to work), then the SANiQ based Systems are not yet for you. I say "not yet", because HP told us that when SANiQ version 10 or 10.5 comes out (currently version 9.5) the systems will handle Fiber Channel cards in the P4X00 chassis and "should" then be able to fully use hardware based iSCSI initiators.

Hope this helps those out there still hoping to use what they paid for and implement using Best Practices for apps, such as in our case, Hyper-V.

You can read more info in the PDF about HP SAN products and what they support. Though it never says it won't support hardware iSCSI, it does only mention software iSCSI for the Px000 series.