ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1753554 Members
4634 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion

iSCSI SAN cheap big storage for Hyper-V / VMWare on DL180 G6 Best Choose?

ExplorerJimmy
Advisor

iSCSI SAN cheap big storage for Hyper-V / VMWare on DL180 G6 Best Choose?

Hi all,

I had one 2nd DL360 G6, now I am learning Hyper-V with Server 2012 for personal home lab such as Clusting, HA, Live Migration, MS SQL, MS Exchange, MS SharePoint etc (Not for production using or just little, but plan add one or two more DL360 G6 on near future to share a big storage as iSCSI SAN)

I am not so rich, but my job is IT, need learning many above thing on it. So it is why I only can buy 2nd and price as low as possible.

Since the DL360 G6 SFF only 8 SFF, and the SATA SFF 2.5" the max size is 1TB ... Yes, SATA not SAS (No $$$ :-( )

So I am looking the internet and find the DL180 G6 with 14 3.5" LFF HDD Bay is the cheap one I can handle ....

And on Windows Server 2012 have a NIC Team function, so if using DL180 G6 as iSCSI SAN do it can team the two NIC as one to double the bandwidth if the Switch support.

But .... since I am new on iSCSI SAN and Hyper-V (Yes, I am learning it and working hard reading book and docunment on this, but I also need enough hardware to build up the IaaS, PaaS, SaaS etc right)

So it is why I post on this forum and ask the experience IT Pro who can give some suggestion for me before I spend the money to buy this or have other better choose!

Thank you of your time and help.

Best Regards,

Jimmy Chan

Best Regards
Jimmy Chan
http://explorerhome.dyndns.org/blog