108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: ilo redfish

SOLVED
Go to solution
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

ilo redfish

I'm trying to find in the iLO Redfish documentation how to disable snmp v1, but not having any luck.  Does anyone know if this is possible?

7 REPLIES 7
BradV
Esteemed Contributor

I figured out that sending: 

curl --insecure --header "X-Auth-Token: ${iLOAuth}" --request GET ${iLOSSO}/redfish/v1/Managers/1/snmpservice | jq -r '.SNMPv1Enabled'

gets me the value true.  Now, I just need to figure out how to set it to false?  I tried running the above adding "/SNMPv1Enabled" to the end of the GET, but get back "ResourceMissingAtURI.  My hope was that if that worked, I could just change the GET to a PUT and add a "false" as data.  Any ideas?

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

For OneView, the only way to disable SNMPv1 is to put it into FIPS or CNSA mode.  Keep in mind that once you do, any legacy iLO or other resource OneView requires SNMP to manage (i.e. external SAN manager) is no longer be manageable unless you configure SNMPv3 with it.

This is the current iLO Redfish documentation.  I don't see a method to changing the SNMPv1 status of an iLO4 or iLO5 device.  I'll reach out to some iLO engineers and find out the answer.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Thanks Chris.  I guess at the very least if I change the snmp v1 community name to some random string, then at least we can say that their ability to discover what type of device they are attacking is severly hampered?  I'll look into how to change the community string via the oneview API on Monday.

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Sorry, took me a little while to get back to this.  Found a way to return the current community string, but it is a read only value.  Does not appear to be a method to set the SNMP v1 community string?

curl --insecure --header "X-Auth-Token: ${iLOAuth}" --request GET ${iLOSSO}/redfish/v1/Managers/1/snmpservice | jq -r '.ReadCommunities'

Gets an array with the currently set community strings.  We have hundreds of DL380 and 560 servers.  I'd like a scripted way to set the community string either through the iLO API, or OneView API.  Anyone know if it is possible? 

ChrisLynch
HPE Pro

Sorry for the late reply.  Here is a sample script we developed you can use to change the SNMP communities.  It is a Python script, but you should be able to pick apart the API calls to make it a BASH shell script with cURL.

I am an HPE employee

Accept or Kudo

BradV
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Chris,

Figured it out! 

First, I get OneView session credentials then extract a list of all current hardware.  Then run: 

echo '{"ReadCommunities": ["jlsf9879j#(*UjOUEO8(&(#(","",""]}' | jq -c '.' > snmp-communities
HARDW=extracted-hardware-list
for SERVER in server{1..100)-ilo ; do
   UUID=$(jq -r '.members[] | select(.name="'${SERVER}'") | "\(.uuid)"' ${HARDW})
   read iLOSSO iLOAuth <<< $(curl --insecure --header "X-API-Version: ${currentVersion}" \
      --header "auth: ${sessionID}" \
      --request GET ${OneView}/rest/server-hardware/${UUID}/remoteConsoleUrl | \
      jq -r '.remoteConsoleUrl' | sed -e 's|hplocons|https|' -e 's|addr=||' \
      -e 's|^\(.*\)&sessionkey=\(.*\)$|\1 \2|')
   curl --insecure \
      --header "X-Auth-Token: ${iLOAuth}" \
      --header "Content-Type: application/json" \
      --location --include --data "@snmp-communities" \
      --request PATCH ${iLOSSO}/redfish/v1/Managers/1/snmpservice
done

I was able to get several hundred servers done in a few minutes! 

BradV
Esteemed Contributor

Note: The previous answer just changed the snmp v1 community string to something other than public.  I have since figured out how to just disable snmp v1.  Run:

HARDW=extracted-hardware-list
for SERVER in server{1..100)-ilo ; do
   UUID=$(jq -r '.members[] | select(.name="'${SERVER}'") | "\(.uuid)"' ${HARDW})
   read iLOSSO iLOAuth <<< $(curl --insecure --header "X-API-Version: ${currentVersion}" \
      --header "auth: ${sessionID}" \
      --request GET ${OneView}/rest/server-hardware/${UUID}/remoteConsoleUrl | \
      jq -r '.remoteConsoleUrl' | sed -e 's|hplocons|https|' -e 's|addr=||' \
      -e 's|^\(.*\)&sessionkey=\(.*\)$|\1 \2|')
   curl --silent --insecure \
      --location --data "@snmp" \
      --request PATCH ${iLOSSO}/redfish/v1/Managers/1/networkprotocol | jq -r '.'
      --location --data "@snmpv1" \
      --request PATCH ${iLOSSO}/redfish/v1/Managers/1/SnmpService | jq -r '.'
      --location --data "@resetiLO" \
      --request PATCH ${iLOSSO}/redfish/v1/Managers/1/Actions/Manager.Reset | jq -r '.'
done