108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: ilo4 configuration cannot be carry out

SOLVED
Go to solution
Niroa
Advisor

ilo4 configuration cannot be carry out

I have configured a linux server using hp Proliant ML310 Gen8 server.

Now I want to configure iLO4 with remote access. The server has not a iLO4 physical port on the server.

I have connected LAN-0 interface to firewall router to make the server to sit behind the firewall. And set 192.168.1.10 using linux o/s.

Then connected LAN-1 to internal network to the LAN Switch allowing all the client computers (even my working comupter) to have ip address using DHCP, by linux O/S.

I have set iLO 4 ip address manuall 192.168.1.15. when server restarts the ip address is showing up in the screen.

But my problem is iLO integrated remote console cannot connect to the 192.168.1.15 address with error message "Cannot connect to host- interval timeout or missing host address 192.168.1.15:443".

how to solve this problem?

8 REPLIES 8
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Are you trying to connect from the server itself, or from a client on the same network?  The server itself cannot access iLO over the shared network connection. Clients should have no issue connecting.

If you need to be able to acces the iLO from the server itself you will need to add a dedicated iLO port.
Quickspec lists ML310e Gen8 HP Dedicated iLO Management Port Kit 674845-B21 

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Niroa
Advisor

Thanka jimmy, i want to connect from client pc using iLO Remote console but from network connected to eth-1. As I explained above, the iLO and internet connection connected to eth-0. I have enabled shared network device option in iLO setting in intelligent provisioning.
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

After re-reading your configuration, I'm a bit confused as to what you are trying to accomplish. Is the server going to act as a firewall/router/gateway or just a system on the network conencted to the existing firewall/router/gateway?  If the server is going to be the firewall/router/gateway you should have NIC1 on the internal side and NIC2 connected to your internet connection.   The shared network option has iLO share the connection with NIC1

More details on what you are trying to accomplish with the server could help others respond

Niroa
Advisor

Jimmy, I think your guess is reasonable. My server is configured as firewall/geateway/router mode. And i have configured Nic1 to internet and Nic2 to internal network. If i inter change the senario , i have to reconfigure openvpn connection and let all user go install new license???? What is the easiest way to get this hack out?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

Should be just a matter of changing the IP addresses on the two interfaces and swapping the network cables. You may need to change a few other configuration files if  they explicitly call out an interface name

Niroa
Advisor

Ok. I will begin to swap nic port connections.
1- Generally The best way to deploy Netwok properly is; Nic1 is to local network and nic2 to external network?

2- And the iLO address must be changed to an address within local subnet range?

3- If I change the modifications as you predict here, could I connect to the server from outside the company network(remote location)?
Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro
Solution

Putting iLO directly on the Internet is never a best practice.  If you want to access the iLO from your internal clients you will have to swap the ports. Since you are using the server as a router, clients cannot come in on port 2, and route out port 1 to  the iLO IP as it is the same subnet as the OS on port1.  The Server OS network cannot directly access iLO in shared port mode.   The other option is to get the dedicated iLO port kit as I mentioned above. In this case you will need a switch to conenct the server, iLO and your Internet connection

Niroa
Advisor

Ok jimmy. Thanks for the information and help. I will carry on the process of changing nic port connection ad Nic1 to Local network and Nic2 to internet router. And openvpn config. I will update you Accordingly. Thanks again