ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752565 Members
5877 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: imaging mirrored drives in DL360

Ken_150

imaging mirrored drives in DL360

Does anyone have a proven, best known method for imaging a server with mirrored drives? Should I pull one of the drives before imaging? Thanks in advance your help,
KL
5 REPLIES 5
Terri Harris
Honored Contributor

1. Are you doing a hardware mirror (drives attached to a SmartArray)? What OS is installed?
What imaging software program will you be using?
Ken_150

Terry, The the drives are hardware mirrored attached to the smart array. The OS is Windows 2000 Advanced Server. I'm planning on using Norton Ghost (version 6 I believe).
KL
JohnWRuffo
Honored Contributor

Ken:
Quick and dirty image exists if you replace one of the mirror drives (Hot Swap) as the one you take out is an exact replica.
Enjoy!

Do you need help with your HP product?
Try this: http://www.hp.com/support/hpgt
thierry chabanne
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

If you are using hardware mirror in your server the easiest way to do it is to get your server up to the ppoint of installation you want and then shut it down, then remove the disk on the left (ID1 slot number 2), reboot your server with only one disk in it and then when the server is stated and the OS loaded, add another disk to replace the one you took as an image. The new disk in the server will rebuilt itself and the one you took can be used in a similar server (same hardware) as long as you use it in the same slot and boot your server with this drive only and add a seccond drive when the server is up and running. (the seccond drive will then rebuilt itself). I have done this with Windows 2000 and Windows 2003 but always done it with server not being part of any domain. Also you have to be aware that with 2003 the GUID of your servers will be the same.
This is also a good way to take a full backup of the system drives of a server before make any OS upgrades.

Regards

Thierry
Ken_150

Thierry, Just to clarify on what I'll call the restore, the drive you removed must go back in the same slot it was removed from. In this case ID1/slot 2. And the server must be rebooted (break current mirror by selecting F2?) with that drive alone. Then you would rebuild the mirror by adding a drive to slot 1.
Thanks,
Ken