ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1752682 Members
5653 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: in b140i (DL80 gen9 server) how to increase Read Cache Size from 64MB to 128MB ?

marcuswrk
Occasional Visitor

in b140i (DL80 gen9 server) how to increase Read Cache Size from 64MB to 128MB ?

I'm looking for hp ssa cli command to change Read Cache Size and download link for correct iso supporting b140i

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5
Suman_1978
HPE Pro

Re: in b140i (DL80 gen9 server) how to increase Read Cache Size from 64MB to 128MB ?

Hi,

See if this command works:

Changing the controller cache ratio
The controller cache ratio setting determines the amount of memory allocated to read and write operations. Different types of applications have different optimum settings. You can change the ratio only if the controller has a battery-backed cache (because only battery-backed cache can be used for write cache) and if there are logical drives configured on the controller.

Syntax:
<target> modify cr=#/#|?

where <target> is a controller, and #/# is the cache ratio in the format read percentage/write percentage.
Example command:
=> ctrl slot=3 modify cr=25/75

Refer to page# 58 and 79.

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?docId=emr_na-c03909334-6

Thank You!
I am a HP employee

Useful Links for ProLiant Servers

Self Solve Options for ProLiant Servers

I work for HPE.
[Any personal opinions expressed are mine, and not official statements on behalf of Hewlett Packard Enterprise]

Accept or Kudo

marcuswrk
Occasional Visitor

HI, unfortunately command cannot allocate from 64MB to 128MB (cache ratio is already 100% read)

in b140i manual page 7  http://h20565.www2.hp.com/hpsc/doc/public/display?sp4ts.oid=5293147&docId=emr_na-c04441385&docLocale=en_US

HP Dynamic Smart Array RAID controllers can use a configurable amount of main system memory for read
caching. The default amount of memory used is 64 MB. However, this value can be set to 0, 64, or 128 MB.
Use HP SSA in offline mode

but I cannot find ssa command and offline iso for ssacli supporting  b140i

thank you

Jimmy Vance
HPE Pro

The above command only works with cache modules attached to the Smart Array. By default the B140i uses system memory for the read cache.  As stated SSA in offline mode is the only way to adjust this read cache value. You can access SSA by downloading the bootabke image, or by pressing F5 or F10 during POST and running SSA from Intelligent Provisioning built into the server

The link to the standalone ISO image

http://h20564.www2.hp.com/hpsc/swd/public/detail?sp4ts.oid=7304563&swItemId=MTX_457a7ca7b0b848e9961b2b4610&swEnvOid=4176

No support by private messages. Please ask the forum! 
Ian_UK1
Regular Visitor

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread, but I'm having the same issue as the OP. Machine is a new DL180 Gen9 with B140i .

Even if I start the Smart Storage Administrator in offline mode (from within Intelligent Provisioning) there is still no option, anywhere in the menu structure for the B140i, to change the read cache size.

I've also tried downloading the latest offline version followed by burning the ISO to a USB drive. However, I can't boot the server from the USB drive in UEFI mode - I have to do a one-time boot in legacy mode. Of course the SSA then can't find the controller as it's incompatible with legacy mode.

All I want to do is change the read cache size to 128MB and there appears to be absolutely no way to do this at all.

Not sure if I'm missing something obvious, if there's a firmware issue I don't know about, or whether the facility to change the cache size has just been deliberately removed.

Could really use the help of those who know more about this than me!

Thanks in advance.

marcuswrk
Occasional Visitor

unfortunately there in still no option to change cache to 128mb