1753943 Members
8984 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

inaccessibility of detected hard drives

Pololoko
Occasional Visitor

inaccessibility of detected hard drives

good morning dear community, i've an hp proliant DL380 g6 server on which is installed 4 hard drives. It can detect the 4 hd but not acess 2 of them, error message unable to open /dev/cciss/c0d1 - unrecognised disk label -> corrupt db disk

was thing of formating the 2 hd and configuring them to raid1 but don't know wherether it will do work and if yes how to proceed or if no what to do????

thanks

6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: inaccessibility of detected hard drives

If the disks are connected to the smartarray controller (default), you cannot access the disks directly, you can only access logical disks created in this array.
After creating such logical disk, you need to create a file system on that.
Not exactly sure what you have and what you did ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Pololoko
Occasional Visitor

why is the problem coming up these todays because before we never faced it.so i thing the problem is not coming from there. i saw somewhere that i should format the intire server because the RAID data base is affected
thanks
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

RAID database?

You should give more details, OS in use, software RAID, ...

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Pololoko
Occasional Visitor

for software it linux redhat 4.5 32 bits and for the RAID software no idea.

i was given the job of seeing how get back the hd in activity if not change it. i have never opened the server and i was ask to see wherther formating the disk in RAID 1 could solve the problem

hope i was precise with my situation

Pololoko
Occasional Visitor

the actual raid on the server is raid1 to be maintain
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Your system has a hardware RAID controller (Smart Array). To get information about its state, you will need an Array Configuration Utility. For Linux, there are two versions: the web GUI version, and the command-line version. The command-line version has minimal dependencies, and its output can be easily copied & pasted to this thread.

Here you will find the command-line version of the Array Configuration Utility (the hpacucli RPM package):

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3884083&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D2%257CswItem%253DMTX_e0ab8f2d629a4748ad073e2943%257CswEnvOID%253D2025%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D4%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.v...

If it is not installed, install it (download the RPM file to the server, then run "rpm -Uvh hpacucli*.rpm" as root).

Then run:

# hpacucli

hpacucli> controller all show config detail

The output should be an overview about the configuration and state of your Smart Array RAID controller and the HDDs connected to it.

For even more information, you might want to install the Array Diagnostic Utility:

http://h20566.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/template.PAGE/public/psi/swdDetails/?sp4ts.oid=3884083&spf_p.tpst=swdMain&spf_p.prp_swdMain=wsrp-navigationalState%3Didx%253D2%257CswItem%253DMTX_a939ccb187794950b0df9ee68a%257CswEnvOID%253D2025%257CitemLocale%253D%257CswLang%253D%257Cmode%253D4%257Caction%253DdriverDocument&javax.portlet.begCacheTok=com.vignette.cachetoken&javax.portlet.endCacheTok=com.v...

Install it just like the Array Configuration Utility, and then run these commands:

# cd /opt/hp/hpssaducli/bin

# ./hpssaducli -f /tmp/adu-report.zip

The tool will create a file named /tmp/adu-report.zip. It will contain a lot of very technical information about the RAID controller and the disks. Please attach the file to this thread.

With the information produced by the above commands, someone might be able to say whether your RAID array is recoverable or not.

MK