ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1751720 Members
3940 Online
108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: inaccessible_boot_device

Desmond Lloyd

inaccessible_boot_device

Proliant DL380. Windows 2000 starts to boot and I get the "inaccessible_boot_device" error. Raid Array with six 72.8gb drives. SCSI checks out all right, red flashing LED drive 1, drives 0,2,3 & four are normal. No led on drive 5, although it does pass test on start up. Says I need to replace drive 1 as-soon-as possible. No drive here. Any direction would be GREATLY appreciated..

4 REPLIES 4
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Hi, Desmond

Do you have a spare drive? Maybe this drive on ID 5 is a spare drive since it has no activity (No LEDs).

You can check it out on ACU, boot to Smart Start and go to Array Configuration Utility, the click on the "Physical View" option on the top of the center colum.

How many drives belong to the Logical drive?

I'm pretty sure that drive # 5 doesn't belong to the same logical drive as Drive # 1

If in fact, drive 5 is a spare, then replace drive 1 with drive 5 and wait for rebuild (until the blinking green arroy stops blinking)

If drive 5 is a hot spare, the "inaccessible_boot_device" error may be indicating that you have errors on more than one drive and this is causing the spare to be queued in its rebuil process.

If drive 5 is a hot-spare and it didn't started the rebuild process automatically, the run an ADU report (Array Diagnostics Utility) and attach the report to your reply message in order to analize it.

Regards.
Desmond Lloyd

First, thank you very much for your response.

That's what I discovered, however I removed drive 1 from the machine and it started a "reactivation" of drive 5. I DID NOT replace drive 1 with drive 5. Should I shut down the machine and do this? or am I too far along. When I got back to it during reboot it advised me that the "auto recovery" process was aborted and should it initiate "auto recovery" (F8 as I remember). I started that process. The machine is hung Win2K complains it is missing system32\ntoskrnl.exe. Drive 5 LED is flashing, no activity on the other drives. Am "assuming" I am still "recovering"

Thank You Again,
Desmond
chongkan
Trusted Contributor

Yes, if the green arrow is still blinking it means that you are still recovering, but then why didn't teh hot spare started teh recovery process right after the drive 1 failed?

Did you run the ADU, please run it, it will let us know what is happening there and how to proceed.

Regards.
Desmond Lloyd

I apologize for not responding earlier. This has been resolved, although painfully. The recovery process finally finished and the server still failed to boot. Since then the server has been rebuilt and backups restored.

We are up and running with lessons painfully learned!!!