108760 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: install a new processor, possible??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

install a new processor, possible??

We have a DL380 G5. When it was purchased last year, I did not know that its particular Xeon processor does not have hyperthreading enabled.

I think it is a Xeon 5150, I can double-check it this weekend, but I do recall that when I looked in the BIOS last year that I could not set hyperthreading...

Is it possible or too difficult to obtain and swap in a new processor that can do hyperthreading, or would this void our currently effective warranty?? (I'm know that a new processor may be expensive.)

It is being used as an ESX 3.x server, so I'm hopeful that hyperthreading could be helpful.

Thank you, Tom

7 REPLIES 7
James ~ Happy Dude
Honored Contributor

Hello Tom,

QUOTE :
"Each hyper-threaded physical processor appears to contain two logical processors, and therefore counts as two processors for purposes of virtual machine start up. For many workloads, however, a hyper-threaded processor doesn't provide nearly the performance of two discrete processors or two processor cores. Therefore while the ESX Server software may, for
example, allow a four-processor virtual machine to be run on a system with two hyper-threaded processors, the performance would likely be extremely poor."

Long story short, VMWARE recommends 2 Core processors rather one processor with hyperthreading.

Regards,
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

The server already has two dual-core Xeon 5150's, I didn't realize this was not clear in my message.

Therefore I am still interested to know if it is indeed possible to swap in new processors if we ever want to do so for whatever reason.

This is presently an investigational question since the server is doing fine for now.

Thank you, Tom

P.S. This would also help us decide whether and if to put slightly newer processors in our other 3-4 year old Proliant ML/DL servers...
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Tom,

I have attached the DL380 G5 Option parts listing where you can see the current list of supported CPU's and memory etc.

Since you already have a second CPU installed you have all the Processor Power Modules (PPM's) needed for any changes. These PPM modules are the same for all CPU variations.

Replacing or upgrading processors in the DL380 G5 is easy. The official HP CPU kits actually come with the CPU, Heatsink, PPM, Thermal grease and alcohol pads. The thermal grease is applied before fitting the heatsink.

I will attach the DL380 G5 CPU replacement procedure in another reply which shows this in full.

Regards,

Brian

Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hi Tom,

Please find attached DL380 G5 CPU replacement procedure.

You can view video footage of the procedure at the HP Online version of the services media library. Please note this was unavailable when I tried to use it this evening but it should be back online hopefully when you try it.

http://h20181.www2.hp.com/plmcontent/NACSC/SML/

Choose Servers - Proliant DL Servers and then DL380 G5. Click on the FRU Remove/Replace link on the right of the screen. You will see the various removal and replacement procedures listed including Processor and Heatsink.

Please note:-
There are two versions of the Proliant DL380 G5 system board and it's possible that you could have either as manufacturing can fit the newer model board to the lower spec cpu systems. HP Field engineers can also fit the new board as a direct replacement for the older one if it's faulty.

Spare part number 407749-001 supports 50XX and 51XX CPU's.
Spare part number 436526-001 supports 53XX CPU's but is 100% backward compatible with 50XX and 51XX CPU's.

You can use 436526-001 to replace 407749-001 but not the other way round if you have X53XX CPU's fitted.

What I am trying to say is check your system board part number (on a white sticky label on the system board) before ordering any cpu's. You cannot fit the quad core cpu's if your system board is 407749-001.

I hope this helps.

Brian
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Thank you, this is everything I needed to know, I will post again if I ever need to know more.

It may be a while before or if I have to do this kind of thing, so it is good to have collected this information ahead of time.

Thank you, Tom
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Tom,

Just an update on the HP Online Services Media Library Link.

Use this one....
http://h20464.www2.hp.com/index.html

One of the other members of this forum (Karlo) kindly posted the new link recently.

As stated above use this link to view the video footage for component replacement on any of your Proliant servers. Select the DL380 G5 to have a look at replacing the Processor and Heatsink assembly.

Regards,

Brian
Tom Lyczko
Super Advisor

Thank you for the new link!!
Gave you some more points. :)