108805 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: install new OS on DL580 G2 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello again. I've changed the boot sequence from default to CDROM, a:, HDD and when I put the W2K3 server cd and reboot, it goes to an option to press F10 and then if I do not press F10 and let it boot, I get the following message:
Intel Boot Agent v 3.0.05
PXE-E61: Media test failure test cable
PXE-M0F:Exiting Intel PXE ROM
Error loading OS
and then the system hangs there. I've got to system partition options and deleted the system partitions.
Any ideas ????
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

I've finally managed to get the OS on the server. I went online and found a way to create a bootable cd for W2k3 server. I created the CD and booted of that CD and was asked to put the installation CD in the drive. Having done that, the installation started and now I've got W2k3 server installed on the server. I think I am fine, not sure though.
And should I install the ProLiant Support Pack for Microsoft Windows Server 2003 & the mFirmware Maintenance CD ???? Please advise and thank you for all your assistance.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

Yes, it would be recommended to keep: all Firmware Up to date, you might miss some critical Updates. Use 7.40 and for Proliant Support Pack use either one 7.3 or 7.4
After O/S Completely loaded

Firmware Cd you need Unzip and Burn, make as bootable from ISO same as you did with O/S CD.
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Ok, I've burned the firmware image on the CD & I guess now I have to boot the server thru this CD. But do I need to make any configuration changes after booting from the CD or is it just click next ..next. could you please let me know.
Also, once the firmware 7.40 is done, I have to uncompress the psp and install it. Should it be easy or do I need to change anything. Please advise as I have never done this before, but I am earning and am enjoying. Thanks once again.
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

For Firmware NEXT, NEXT as you stated, follow GUI, should be easy to run

For PSP Prior you run over Install

Install SNMP and configure
Verify Customer Advisory, how to do that
http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?objectID=PSD_EM021108_CW01

With PSP Install, what ever it ask you; leave defaults unless you know what you do or Company requirement
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

I have started updating the firmware. I started the ROM based update and one-by-one the amber lights started to flash on the HDD. but the HDD at the bottom keeps flashing and it is stuck there for more than 2 hours.
The screen shows an hour glass & 100% but the light is flashing. We had some issues with the hard-drive. Would this mean the HDD is bad ????
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

2 hours it's more excessive time than needed, please restart server.
Chances HDD bad? If any problem found you would notice from POST, Red LED will be ON or it will flash.
You can restart and boot once again from CD, normally it should take less than 15-20 minutes.
Try to rescan and see what left
donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

Hello: this is the update:

Ok, I stopped the updates and now this is the message:
ROM update is being cancelled on user request. Please wait while we stop update processing.

When I click on the "SHOW ALL DETECTED DEVICES" tab: here is what I get:

SYSTEM ROM
HP Proliant ML570/DL580 (P20)
Currently installed Version: 2002.12.17
Number of Installed Devices: 1
Available Updates: 2002.12.17

Array Controllers
Smart Array 5300
Currently installed Version: 3.54
Number of Installed Devices: 1
Available Updates: 3.54|details
Slot 5
Product id:0x0e114070
Version:3.54
Action Required:Rewrite
Shared:No

Hard Drives
BF03664664 Drivers
Currently installed Version: 3B0B
Number of Installed Devices: 4
Available Updates: 3BOB|detials

Product id:BD03664664
Version:3BOB

BD009635CB BD0093623 DB018635CC BD01873624 BD03663622 BD03673625 and BC072638A2 Drivers
Currently installed Version: BDC4
Number of Installed Devices: 4
Available Updates: BDCB|details

Product id: BD03663622
Version: BDC4
Action Required:Upgrade

Now, the amber light keeps on flashing and the cancellation of updates is not happening. When I exit

the ROM update, the cd is spit out & the server restarts. The amber light does not flash and all the

drives look happy. So does this mean the server is not happy with ROM updates ???
I still haven't installed PSP for W2K3. Could you guide me. Thanks
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

I would try to flash once again, if possibly go with one or two drives (device) at time, see if Process will hung at one of the drives, or try to re-flash once again all of them, possibly something buffered and process didn't go well.
If Process hangs on the Specific firmware Update release and same firmware working fine for second drive (same model) ├в possibly drive Problem
If Process hangs with firmware release for every all-identical drive model, you might need to recreate CD.

Drives firmware updates is recommended. However there is thousand Drives running across and updates missing on some of them, if Firmware Level of Smart Array controller will detect that Drive need Firmware Update you will see on the POST:
1766 - Slot x Drive Array requires System ROM Upgrade. Run the latest Run Systems ROMPaq Utility.
Or 1767 ...

Than it would be more critical to update

donkarnash_1
Frequent Advisor

I do not see any message during POST. All the drives are identical and the ROM update starts and hangs at the first drive.
I will recreate the CD and try again. I contacted HP & they advised me that the firmware may be conflicting with the prior version.
They suggest that I clear the NVRAM in the server. It will be difficult for me to unrack the server but I will try that too. What do you reckon.