108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

installing Vista on Proliant ML350 servers

SOLVED
Go to solution
chip hennens
Advisor

installing Vista on Proliant ML350 servers

Anyone know if Vista will install on Proliant ML350 servers, since its a 64bit OS? Does it come with the necessary controller, etc. drivers?
28 REPLIES 28
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

Re: installing Vista on Proliant ML350 servers

I think is not supported yet

what about W2008

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008/audsel.mspx

http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/servers/technology/whitepapers/os-techwp.html

because it's the latest version
I hope It has the most important drivers to avoid a lot of headaches installing with floppy and so on

regards
Didn't your momma teach you to say thanks!
chip hennens
Advisor

Great idea, but am trying to turn this Proliant G4 ML350 server into standalone PC workstation to handle production of mostly marketing communications related stuff, so the W2/W3/W8 OS is probably not the best environment for that. Right now the server is just a rather expensive boat anchor, and I'm the guy that originally spec'd it. As u know, have tried unsuccessfully to install XP-Pro. If I could find the correct raid controller driver, I'm fairly certain I could get it to install. Better yet, if I could get Vista to install, I'd buy a copy today. Judging from the postings on the forum, there are quite a numbe of other people trying to do something similar.
michael dick
Occasional Contributor

I have been running XP pro on my ml350 g3
for 2 years. no problem. Have not tried vista as of yet. What raid controller do you have ?? If no xp driver exists for the
HP number, try to find out who made it for
them. Check the chip on the board. I will
lead you to the proper place.
chip hennens
Advisor

The controller is the Smart Array 641/642 Controller, that according to the documentation supplied with the server. Do u happen to know whether I can install the controller driver from the Smart Start setup CD supplied with the server? Tx.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes, it has it

just download the latest SmartStart CD 7.80 and when you install Vista select other OS and go ahead

that is the idea when you deploy a server that the Smartstart CD has all the controller for the smart array cards like yours

regards
chip hennens
Advisor

Any idea how/where I can download the latest SmartStart CD 7.80 software? Tried going to www.hp.com/servers/manage, as instructed by the Proliant user's manual, but didn't see that there. Tx.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

yes from here

Smartstart 7.80

http://h18000.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/27210.html

a zip file, unzip it and burn it using nero for example to get a bootable CD

dont forget assign some points

regards
chip hennens
Advisor

Karlo, I'm back on this project. I downloaded and burned the SmartStart 7.80 file onto a CD. When u say "when you install Vista select other OS," where do I select other OS? Also, tried running the SmartStart 7.80 files and it doesn't list a Vista or "Other OS" option. So, I'm unsure what u r talking about. Tx,again, very much for ur help with this.
KarloChacon
Honored Contributor

hi

have you tried making the installation manually?

without SmartStart Cd?

i think it much better

regards