New Discussion юеВ

Re: installing Win Nt4 on Proliant ML350 G3

SOLVED
Go to solution
john_620
Occasional Contributor

installing Win Nt4 on Proliant ML350 G3

Hi,

I'm trying to install Windows NT Server 4.0 on a Proliant ML350 G3 and am having nothing but problems. I've gone through the instalation on the Smart Start Cd and it only ever sees the RAM in the computer. It never actually sees the removable disks in the server. Like you go to install the OS and it says you only have a maximum of 4 GB of memory to install to. I'm thinking it's a problem with the SCSI Adapter driver but I've tried installing 4 different ones already and still it can't seem to see the disks. I've tried installing Windows 2000 server on the same machine and it goes through no problem. I can see all the disks and everything. it just seems to happen on the installation of NT and thats it. If anyone could help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John
4 REPLIES 4
Chanler Childs
Frequent Advisor

Its possible its complaining about your partition size. If I remember correctly, NT4 pretty much had to be tricked to install on anything larger than a 4GB partition.

If its installing correctly with W2k, then I'm inclined to believe your hardware setup is correct.
Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hello John,
Please make sure that you have set the boot controller order properly by going in F9 before you proceed with the installation. Secondly, please bring the RAM below 1GB. You can add the RAM back in after the installation finishes.

Regards,
john_620
Occasional Contributor

Hey,

Thanks for the help guys. But it's still not working. I'm just wondering if this problem would have anything to do with me using the Smart Start erase utility and blowing away the CMOS(accidentaly:)) before trying to do the installation of window nt server. Because the other people I'm working with are thinking it is a problem with me possibly whiping out some drivers that let Windows NT Server communicate with the hard drive. If anyone has any other ideas could you please let me know. Thanks.

John

Sunil Jerath
Honored Contributor

Hello John,
Which version of Smart Start are you using?? The only reason there would be hardware and drivers problem could occur is when you are not using the right smart start CD. Also please let me know as to which Array controller you're using if you are using any at all.

Regards,