1748195 Members
3326 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: installing linux on proliant 1500

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

installing linux on proliant 1500

Has anyone been able to successfully install linux on the prloiant 1500. http://www.compaq.com/products/servers/linux/cert1-arc1.html doesn't even list the 1500.

With some versions of linux such as calder I've been able to get as far as the reboot but it hangs there with the famous LI.

with other versions it wont get furter than trying to identify the scsi controler which it insists is ncr85cxxx pci

any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

cheers
Paul
8 REPLIES 8
Mark Cloutier
Respected Contributor

Unfortunately, Compaq has done no testing of any sort with this machine, so will not be able to give any assistance. You may find help in some of the other Linux forums. Good Luck!
We are here for a good time, not a long time!
Ed Felton

Ok, Paul, I've got a Proliant 1500 that's been running Mandrake 8.0 distro with absolutely no problems, the install ran clean, you name it.

Caveats: I'm not running the RAID card, and the 2G HD on that server (boot disk) just went out at lunchtime, today...
Linux... it's not just for breakfast anymore!
Ed Felton_1
Occasional Advisor

Ok, followup on my 1500, that was running Mandrake 8.0...

Got new drives.. drives are not formatted.. have spent a day trying to get them recognized... FWS2ASPI driver for dos means that they're seen during boot, but FDISK doesn't do anything...
ANY IDEAS?

-Ed
C. D. Tobola
Advisor

Paul,

Does the machine have a RAID card? My LHii absolutely refused to work with RedHat Linux until I pulled the RAID card and used the RAID system build into Linux.

Also, I find that doing a low-level format before I begin significantly decreases the number of glitches I encounter when installing Linux.

Best wishes! -Cloy
Ed Felton_1
Occasional Advisor

ok, brief update. Drives are found, server is back up and running.. Trick was to blow away the EISA config data, and re-config the hardware.

I suggest that you try mandrake, as that's what I've had the best luck with.

Mandrake 8.1 loads with no problems, and even came up and ran, without seeing the extra ram above 16M. (have since told lilo that there is 80M, and that's working).

In my case, I pulled the Smart Array controller, used the onboard SCSI, and removed everything but the ethernet card (a generic NE2000 clone). Install ran straight thru, and everything was identified, properly. machine boots, runs, and is steady as a rock.
Wouter van den Ende

I have a PL1500 running Redhat 6.1 on a mirrored driveset connected to a SMART-2P controller. I can't remember how I installed it, but I'm trying to install another one right now.

At first I thought it would be easy to get one of the disks from the running server and put it into the new one, but that resulted in a GPF.

Now I'm trying to install it with the CD-ROM and am also getting stuck on selecting the CD-ROM controller.
Wouter van den Ende

Installation of Redhat 7 from CD-ROM didn't give any problems at all.
Samantha Scafe

Hi

I have successfully added debian to a 1500. had a bit of a hard time at first, as I didnt have any docos. but after playing around no worries. Works well, except for deb doesnt pick up the dual cpu or the correct amount of ram
but then !!

Cheers
Samantha