ProLiant Servers (ML,DL,SL)
1748170 Members
3862 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: installing sco unix openserver 5.05 on Proliant 1600 (pentium II)

installing sco unix openserver 5.05 on Proliant 1600 (pentium II)

I need install Unix on Proliant 1600. I have problem whith scsi device. On the boot prompt i write defbootstr link="cha" hd=Sds, but its don`t reconized the scsi disks. The installation get me this message:
cha: Nom-COmpaq SCSI Adapters detected and ignored slot=0
This driver only supports Compaq SCSI Adapters (chaW13). What I can do???

Thank a lot for help

gmunoz@fospuca.com
gerardmr@cantv.net
5 REPLIES 5
Brian_Murdoch
Honored Contributor

Hello,

The Extended Feature Supplement (EFS) kit for SCO Openserver 5 provides all the necessary Compaq NIC, SCSI and RAID controller drivers.

Here is the link to EFS version 5.48A.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/14542.html

Other utilities and firmware for the PL1600 running SCO Openserver 5 can be found here.

http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/locate/26_1126.html

I hope this helps,

Brian

Michael Williams_6
Trusted Contributor

Hi there, it's been a while since I installed a SCO box, but luckily I documented it, I see that for a 4200 controller, you need the following boot string:

defbootstr disable=cha link=├в clad├в hd=Sdsk wd=Srom(0,0,0) mem=1m-16m,16m-64m/n

With this, we disable the cha adapter, which is the in-build SCSI adapter that's built-in to all Compaq Motherboards.

Are you sure that you're using this controller? Or do you have a 3200, 2PL or earlier RAID Array Controller? These are "clad" devices if memory serves me correctly...

If you don't have a RAID controller, then don't bother typing in a defbootstr string - I remember that SCO's installation was able to detect the controller and disks on older servers without a problem, just make sure you install the EFS once the OS is installed...

I hope this has been some help!

Well, My proliant 1600 has a dual-integrated wide-ultra 3 controller. I have read about that on the efs 5.48 help disk, and this say that I have to do the "ad160" driver into de boot prompt. I used that but my problem continue. Its don`t reconized the scsi controller.

thank a lot for help

gmunoz@fospuca.com
gerardmr@cantv.net
Brian Murdoch
Advisor

Hi,

The Proliant 1600 has an integrated dual channel 32bit Wide SCSI controller based on Symbios Logic chips and does not use the Adaptec chipset, so the ad160 driver is no use.

It should be the Compaq 32-Bit Fast-SCSI-2 Controller card driver I believe.

Regards,

Brian

for the the Compaq 32-Bit Fast-SCSI-2 Controller card I should be used "cha" driver, but whith that don`t reconize the scsi card controller