1753594 Members
6060 Online
108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: mac address issues.

martin witts_1

mac address issues.

Hi

Can anyone briefly explain the following to me.

Proliant DL380 G3 using the enbeded NICs

How is the physical MAC address mapped to the NIC, the reason I ask is I have a particular server that is the only server that can connect to certain ports on a network switch.
This is controlled by the switch knowing the MAC address of the NIC plugged into it.

However occasionally after a reboot the MAC address on NIC 1 and NIC 2 will swap and the switch discards the traffic until I amend the MAC to switch port map.

My theory is as follows.

Which every NIC comes up first gets the lower numeric MAC address is this case?
Can I lock the MAC to the NIC somehow?

Regards
Martin
4 REPLIES 4
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Hi Martin! You can obtain information about MAC addresses using CLI 'ipconfig /all' command in Windows enviroment. The another way is System Management Homepage - NIC subsystem page
martin witts_1

Thanks Ruslan I already know how to see which MAC is assigned to which NIC, What I need to know is why the mac on the two NICs can sometimes swap from NIC1 to NIC2 and vice versa after a reboot.

Martin
Ruslan
Respected Contributor

Martin,

The mac cannot swap between NICs, because it is unique and placing in fab. It sounds like that your haven't correctly configured Network Teaming and put both connection of nics on the same ethernet switch... I'm right?
Oleg Koroz
Honored Contributor

http://www.hp.com/sbso/bus_protect/teaming.pdf

page 5
see how to make ... the network device does not know that more than one MAC address is being used ...