108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

memory not detected in windows 2000 server

SOLVED
Go to solution
rafael fernandez_1

memory not detected in windows 2000 server

Hi,

last week i added 2Gb of memory Ram to a ml530 g2 and bios detected the total amount of memory (5Gb) but windows 2000 server not.

What can i do to solve the problem?
5 REPLIES 5
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor

Re: memory not detected in windows 2000 server

Hi there,

this will most likely fix your problem:
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=620131

this question has been raised in the forum a number of times.

In brief, modify the boot.ini file on your server and add "/PAE" switch at the end of the line which corresponds to the operating system.

Reboot the server and see memory >4GB on your server.

Intel's Physical Addressing Extension (PAE) allows OSs running on i386 -32 bit architecture to access memory over 4GB.

Hope it helps and dont forget to assign points:)

regards,
rafael fernandez_1

Thanks for your quick answer. I have scheduled a shutdown this night. I will test tomorrow morning.

rafael fernandez_1

hi,

i have tested this morning and it doesn't work. i put /PAE and i don't have memory over 4gb.

why?
SAKET_5
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Rafel,

Did I just notice that you are running Windows 2000 Server and not Windows 2000 Advanced Server???

Well, if you are running Windows 2000 Server, then you would never be able to use more than 4GB memory as this is all Windows 2000 Server supports.

I assumed that you are running Windows 2000 Advanced Server and hence suggested you to use /PAE switch in the boot.ini to access memory over 4GB.

Hope this clarifies and dont forget to assign points:)

regards,
Thomas Bianco
Honored Contributor

consider setting the /3gb switch also, this will allow the system to assign up to 3gb of address space to each processs (as opposed to the default 2 gb).

be aware, that since you are not using PAE (due to the above mention advanced server problem) you will only have 1gb of system address space. this may not be a problem.
There have been Innumerable people who have helped me. Of course, I've managed to piss most of them off.