1753325 Members
5716 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: memory parity error

Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

memory parity error

We have been having problems with our 1600R for approx two weeks now. At least once a day the server will crash. The error message is "MI: Parity Check / Memory Parity Error". It has been stable up to this point for two years and we have made no recent changes to the server. One year ago we added RAM (3rd party) to bring it up to 1GB, but it has been stable since that time. I have tried removing all of the 3rd party ram and the problem does not go away. I have also tried replacing all of the RAM with memory from another Compaq server. I have unloaded all nonessential services running on the server. There are no other third party devices in the machine. Does anyone have any other suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This same error just started with us today. We are running ours with 256MB of Compaq RAM. It's been running great for two years until today. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

The same thing has happen to me. One of our 1600's (an intranet server) displays this behavior (started last wednesday). I have got the RAM module replaced but it has not helped a bit. Have you found a solution ?
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

This recently happened on my site, a proliant 6400r. I tried replacing the ram (1x128mb, 1x256mb) but to no effect. the server was rebooting at random intervals sometimes hanging during reboot after asr. With our availability of spares i replaced the processor cage (cpq313622-001) and the server has been stable since. The server is running windows terminal server and the memory parity error was displayed during a blue screen. Hope this helps.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We had the systemboard replaced since replacing the RAM did not help. Since then there has been no more errors.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

After replacing the (in order): Memory, I/O board, Array controller, I/O cage, CD ROM, Processor Cage, and backplane board, it ended up being the processor itself which went bad. Since replacing it, the system has run great.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

Replacing the system board appears to have fixed it for us. I have also seen this in older workstations.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

We experienced the same error. We ended up swapping out the memory and also the CPU cage. I suspect that the CPU cage was the culprit though.
Ayman Altounji
Valued Contributor

I was experiencing the same problems with my 1600. It was accompanied by random reboots (about every 7 hours) and would fail to post about 3/4 of the time after reboot. Replacing the CPU cage did the trick. Has been running error free for about 2 weeks now.