1753792 Members
6565 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: migrating the boot volume

globalceo
Occasional Contributor

migrating the boot volume

We have a dl380 running w2k sp4 that was originally deployed with a mirrored set of 72GB drives, the boot volume was set to only 4GB with data volume of 68gb. WE obviously need to find a way to extend the boot volume size, I have added 2 additional 72GB drives and have expanded "Array A" so it shows the original logical drive and a seperate "unused space" with the additional 138+GB.

I am trying to find a solution to expand/extend the boot volume or to migrate the boot volume to a new volume.
Any ideas?
4 REPLIES 4
Mauro Rusignuolo
Trusted Contributor

you can use Disk Director Suite from Acronis ...

Bye.

TJK.
<> Leonardo da Vinci
Joel Belizario
Trusted Contributor

Jonas Back_2
Super Advisor

If I remember correctly, you can't extend the boot/system volume with diskpart.

However, here's a tip. Haven't tried it myself though.
http://searchwincomputing.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid68_gci1126671,00.html
e4services
Honored Contributor

Backup and restore is the most elegant solution here.
Here is what we suggest to our customers.
Split your boot/OS partition off of the RAID set. The idea here is why load the RAID down with trying to create redundancy in all the Windows temporary files and such, where you simply need a backup.
We suggest setting your OS on either a single drive or mirrored set, breaking the mirror after the OS is the way you want it, so you have a backup.
Set your data and/or program volume on a RAID set, where only data is treated with redundancy. The RAID will run faster and you will no longer ever run into issue with attempting to expand you OS logical drive.
Hot Swap Hard Drives